Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for those of you that have tinted the windows of your 300.

1. Did the tint installer remove the rear deck and tint that portion of the rear window covering the brake light?

2. And what size gap, if any, did the installer leave between the tint and the top of the glass on the side windows?

3. Did you have your sunroof tinted?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
300C4ME said:
This is for those of you that have tinted the windows of your 300.

1. Did the tint installer remove the rear deck and tint that portion of the rear window covering the brake light?

2. And what size gap, if any, did the installer leave between the tint and the top of the glass on the side windows?

3. Did you have your sunroof tinted?

Thanks in advance. :)
1. NO

2. Very Minimal Gap

3. NO

·
Registered
141 Posts
Does anyone know what is legal and what isnt legal as far as tint % goes? I am looking to have it done and am wondering how far you can go before attracting Johhny Law?!

·
Registered
110 Posts
In Missouri, I think it is 20% (Darkest) on back seat and rear windows, and 35% (Darkest) on front seat side windows. the percentage referes to how much light is let through the film.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Survey answers:
1.yes
2. 1/16
3. No

·
Registered
28 Posts
midwestrc said:
Does anyone know what is legal and what isnt legal as far as tint % goes? I am looking to have it done and am wondering how far you can go before attracting Johhny Law?!

That actually varies state to state, in some cases even, model year. For example, I had a car that was a 1991 model year car, that I bought in 97 or so in New York State. Well, in NY, the limit is somewhere near 30% I believe, I'm not for sure and here's why: The car already had super dark tints when I bought it. Under NY state law, if the car you own is a 1991 or earlier model, if you can prove the tints were there (I could be wrong on this last part) factory/dealer, than you can get away with darker tints. Well, I lived there long enough and dealt with enough police to know, they'll never try to make you prove it and they won't even ask you about them. Although on my friend's 98 Olds, he got pulled over for having too dark of tints and thus had to remove them as well as got a ticket.

In Kentucky, I had the same car and there was a break in. The windows had to all be re-tinted to look right and match up. Well in Kentucky, they forced me to get I believe 35% (almost pointless to even get tints at that point). But, in the rear windows, you could have (I didn't know this until after the fact) 5%. So if you have a 4 door car (like the 300C), you could get the rear passager windows and rear window, all tinted to 5% (otherwise known in some cases as "limo tint").

Now each state is different, so don't go on what works in another state and use it. If I were you, I'd find a local tinter (or anyone who does tint in your state thats within your county, because I'm sure it varies possibly county to county) and ask them what is the legal limit. Hell, drive to your local police department and ask, I'm sure they'll gladly give you the answer. After all, your not attempting to break the law! They're not gonna be mad at you for that or arrest you for asking. Don't get the info off the web, cause you don't know if laws/rules have changed since.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Go read California Vehicle Code 26708

Transparent Materials

26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply any transparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, of any motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces the light transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, except as provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.

(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) the glass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the United States Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and (2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by those standards for the particular type of glass used.

Amended Sec. 2, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.

·
Registered
45 Posts
In washington the fronts can't be darker than 35% aftermarket, and no tint on the front windsheild (except across the top). The rear's can go to limo tint. NO tinting can be reflective. A few car manufacturers, like Lexus are still getting away with reflective tinting, like on the rear windows of the 330. I thought i heard a blurb just a couple weeks ago about the US suing, toyota or nissan for their window tints? I can't remember. I think it's pretty silly that we can't add aftermarket items, but the dealers get away with it. Consistency.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Here in CA is a so called Grey Area where it is at the discretion of the officer to let you go. As long as you have two outside mirrors you can even paint your rear windows black. As for the front windows they shine their flashlite through the window. If they can see you without much reflection in your car they mostly let you go. Depends or their day and mood they in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm having my car done tomorrow morning and there all going to be 5%. I never had any problems with my pt cruiser with limo tint.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a motorcyclist, I detest darkly tinted windows. I can't see what is going on in the car or whether the person is even paying attention to the traffic around them. (Most drivers are insanely inattentive.) So not only do I have to contend with stupid drivers, I don't even benefit from knowing which way they are looking!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got the tints done and man does this car really look great with the windows blacked out. I know a lot of people don't like to go as dark as I do but if your going to go with a 25% tint which is already illegal the price of the ticket doesn't go up becasue your percentage is 5%. Ill have some more pics of the car by tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
95 Posts
unlike you dogs :cool: in the USA who get hemis dirt cheap, I finally picked up my car on Monday and had the windows done on Tuesday. I did 35% all the way around and it looks awsome! I am afraid of getting stopped at night because the car is black and windows look very black at night and out here, a cop can stop you and walk up to the car and start peeling it right on the spot.
The car is black and I had ordered a touring but with the sunroof being all backed up, they gave me a limited they had found for the same price.
If anyone is from Vancouver, street legal tint is the place to go. These guys are the best in town and decent prices.
BTW....the first comment...I paid way more than most of you paid for your hemi, so enjoy the power!
One last thing, with only 300k on the car, I have had so many people want to race me.....I cant believe what a target this car is for speed. I guess for the most part, people think all 300's are hemis!

I'll get some pics up this weekend for you all to see. I would highly recommend 35 all the way around. Classy car with a classy look

1 - 16 of 16 Posts