Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black 300C was sitting in the driveway (facing the garage door - last house on a dead-end street) on a very hot day. I went out the next morning to drive it and found the windshield cracked from top to bottom.

I called the local dealer Bayshore Chrysler Plymouth and was told that if it was due to stress, they would replace it but if it was due to something hitting it, they wouldn't. Sounds absolutely fair and correct, right?

My wife and I get to the dealer. Mechanic 1 looks - can't find an impact point. Mechanic 2 comes out - can't find an impact point. The service manager comes out, looks it over... pulls out a ball-point pen and digs it in at the top of the crack and says; "there's a tiny spot right here where something hit it"

He made a mark in the top of the crack with his pen right in front of us and told us it won't be covered, but we should file with our insurance company and they would be happy to perform the replacement work.

I complained to DC, but it was like talking to a wall, so I had to call the insurance company. The repair people (3rd party) are replacing it now. The first thing I did was to have them take a look at it. They told me that there was no stone chip or other normal impact point, and then I told them the story, they looked at the spot where he did it and said it wasn't from anything hitting it. Their comments; "What a weasel."

Moral of the story... If it happens to you, don't let anyone touch it. This is obviously a trick and we obviously got snookered by this tactic.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Are you saying he marked the spot (as if you were circling something to highlight it) or he made the spot with his "digging in"? I think you meant the second option; however, I'm hoping it was the first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What did the dealer have to lose?

Aren't the warranty costs covered by the factory? What would the dealer gain to deny your claim-especially if the dealer is independently owned?

On the other hand, I guess I have had some pretty poor experiences with some dealer integrity-recently had 2 estimates for a minor repair jobs done at 2 difference dealers and the estimates were 25% apart.

Anyway, sorry to hear it had to come out of your and your insurance company's pocket.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
DeveloperX, find another service department, pronto. The good service departments are trusted by DCX over routine warranty claims.

The incompetent ones and the sleazy ones have their claims carefully scrutinized. Sounds like that service manager didn't want to take the chance of having the claim bounced.

Do not, I repeat, give that service department any more business.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frank, yes... he dug it into the top of the crack. He didn't point or circle, and here's an update... the windshield has just been replaced. The glass people found the source of the problem, which I think is clearly a manufacturer's defect.

I will try to upload 3 pictures. One of the top of the crack, the next of the entire windshield header, and the last, a closeup of the header.

The top of the crack is where he dug his pen in. Notice (if the picture is good enough) that the crack doesn't actually go all the way up to the top of the windshield. The starting point (see why I call it the starting point and not the end further down) is actually in the blacked-out border of the windshield.

In the second picture, look at how the steel in the header is even all the way across except in the vicinity of the cracking point I mentioned.

In the third picture, a closeup of the bent part of the header, there are two high points, which I suspect are from a spot welding machine. According to the glass people, these high points were pushing on the windshield from underneath and ultimately caused the fracture.

They used a small hammer to correct the bend and flatten the high point so it won't happen again.

If this happens to you, make sure you bring copies of this with you (if you need the larger originals, just email me and I'll send them). My car has just over 5k miles, but this is the first summer (bought it last winter) and we just had a very hot day before I noticed it the next morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had my C in for hopefully the last bit of bodywork after my 3 minor fender benders and the dealership arranged for me to get of all things a black Magnum and this car only had 700 Kms on it and they said I was the second driver and as I was driving away in the rain I noticed a cracked windshield which was hard to see, so I made a u-turn and headed back. We checked it over and you could not see a point of impact so it was put down as a stress fracture. The dealership said not to worry as they have a relationship with Enterprise and this will not come back to haunt me. We do not get loaners here in Canada, but they gave me one because they caused my minor fender bender.

Please stay away from my car, as I already had my group of three. :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin

·
Registered
336 Posts
developerx, how much was it to get the windsheild replaced? I have a crack that was caused by the defective a-hole in front of me. Don't think the dealer will take care of that one! Anyway, I just wanted to know how much the bill came to if you don't mind.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
199 Posts
Perhaps Developerx you should coincider a lawsuit against the dealer for negligence and any cost of insurance increase due to having to make an unnessary claim especially when 2 mechanics and one insurance adjuster say its clearly a manufacture defect. my2cents:wave:

ps. stick it to the man when ever you get the chance they will all learn eventually.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The replacement was (as I recall) close to $500 with tax. The new one comes with all the sensor fittings attached, so you need not move them from the old to the new. If anyone needs a *great* replacement company here on Long Island, I have a recommendation.

I am going to send a package to the insurance company and the DMV (they monitor repair shops). In it will be a letter describing what happened, along with a copy of the pictures, the guy's business card, and a statement that the windshield replacement company wrote.

This is one of the reasons insurance rates are high. I still can't get over the fact that I got snookered. What a routine that is with the ball point pen. Be prepared for that if you find yourself in a similar position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts