Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have their windshield "pop". It sounds like a rock hitting the windshield. I notice it several times a day, usually within the first few minutes from starting up the car. At first I thought it was rocks hitting the windshield, but when it did it in my driveway, I realized that wasn't so.

I am also noticing my temperature likes to read high during the day. I assume it's because I have a black car. It doesn't stick, but reads high. In the morning when it is still dark, it reads about right. I can look at the raw temperature via the note/compass easter egg and when reading an outside temp of 100-105, the raw temp will be up to 130+. This is when it's around 90 degrees outside.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that my windshield 'pops'. It usually does it when taking off from a dead stop. It sounds like a large bug or small rock hitting the windshield.

I'm taking it in next week to get the airbag sensor on the passenger seat calibrated, as it beeps and the 'air bag off' light comes on when nothing is in the seat. I'm going to have them check the windshield, too.

I also have a problem with the rear, driver's side door. The hinge sticks and pops when closing the door, like it's in a bind.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have also noticed the same popping noises. I assumed that the noise was caused by the intense heat here in Las Vegas. I always immediately turn on the A/C, and then a few minutes later hear the popping noises.

Just an annoyance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My temp always reads high. Usually about 110-115??????????? Oh wait I live in Phoenix AZ. it's always this hott here in the summer............fall...................winter...............spring............

·
Registered
629 Posts
no popping...do you all have moon roofs? My questions is about structural rigidity in the area of the windsheild frame with moonroofs v. without.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have a moon roof, and have the popping.

Nunie..........we have been 98 all week in Las Vegas. Come visit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
this is the first I have seen this post, I drove the C to get my 2's put on, pulled out of discount and heard the NOISE,,,,,first time I heard it after 87 miles,,, sunroof, yes

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
poping

I have NO moonroof and i do have the poping. I wouldnt worrie about it to much till something happens like a leak or you notice the WS out of place. If were all having this problem DCX most likly knows too. I would suspect there working on it. I know for sure im not letting a dealer play test subject with my paint job. Untill there is a TSB on it and a fix most dealers wont know what to do and you might get a worse noise. Don't take this the wrong way the dealer i got Black Cherry from was great but i dont trust them that much.

Maybe one of the DCX in the know here can looking this popping.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Guys/Gals

I too had this problem on my 1996 Impala SS. What we found to be the problem on that car was the lack of front body mounts. Chevrolet elected to leave the front mounts off so the ride would not be so stiff using a sport suspension. Once we placed those mounts on the car the poping noise went away. Could that be our problem with this car also?

·
Registered
901 Posts
No Popping

I have the moonroof and so far no popping as of yet, I have approx 2600 miles on Mrs SexC :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The window popping noise is news to me. Regarding any engine temperature changes, there is a recall due to the coolant mixture, but I believe it might be only related to the V6 models. I don't know if that's the cause to your concern, but it might be. Call your dealer to confirm the recall and have your VIN # handy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I definitely have the pops. I've cursed pretty bad a few times thinking stones are hitting me all the time. It's happens about once a week. I was just thinking about it tonight on my drive home. I was thinking maybe the way air flows over the front bumper it directs stones in the air into the windshield but I guess 95% of the time it's not stones at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I hear the same pop when I first open the drivers door after it's been sitting for a couple of hours. If I drive it, park it and take off again I don't get the noise. Strange but not as bad as my mother in law's 2003 CTS which normally won't start ;) .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have a popping sound. It always seems to occur about 15 seconds after i first start the car and back up out of garage, regardless of whether im turning the wheel. Sometimes loud enough that it seems as if a pebble is dropping out of the tree onto my windshield!!! I called my dealer and he has not heard of the situation before. It started around 1000 miles and i now have 3000 and it occurs every day.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Does anyone here have any connections with someone at DC? maybe they can check out the problems section of the forum, it would help them a lot with feedback. Ofcourse dealers wont know, they will not know unless is an official recall. People are afraid to take it to the dealer for service because they will BS you so much and make you waste an entire day...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the popping noise as well. I like to say it sounds like an acorn falling and hitting the windsheild. It usually happens when I drive the car after it has been sitting for a while. I notice it first thing in the morning when I leave the house. Sometimes it happens before I can get out of the drive way and sometimes a minute or two later. I also notice it when leaving work in the afternoon. It has been rather cold here lately so it isn't related to extremely hot temps. I hear it once or twice a day.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
mspeasl said:
Guys/Gals

I too had this problem on my 1996 Impala SS. What we found to be the problem on that car was the lack of front body mounts. Chevrolet elected to leave the front mounts off so the ride would not be so stiff using a sport suspension. Once we placed those mounts on the car the poping noise went away. Could that be our problem with this car also?
I agree with mspeasl, I reckon the problem is related to body flex. The glass in cars these days are an integral part of the body structure and therefore subjected to stress. It is very important to replace all glass with the right specification to retain the ridigity of the whole body. Here in Australia we are flooded with cheap Asian product which, in some cases, is thinner glass and compromises the body's strength and therefore safety.

IMO as the body starts to loosen up over time and mileage, we are going to start to see cracks appearing in the windshields of 300s for no good reason.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts