Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice 8" crack in the bottom center of the windshield from a stone impact. Insurance company says I have to pay extra if I want a genuine Chrysler windshield. I've got rain sensors on the SRT. Anyone know if the aftermarket even makes these windshield. Any idea what the difference in price would be for a Chrysler one?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had nearly the same thing happen to me, except instead of a crack, I had a divot the size of a 50-cent piece that blew out of my windshield. Cost, installed, was about $450. The glass service told me that there was no aftermarket windshield with the rain sensor and other electronics (U-Connect, etc.) available.

Good luck.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Wow, I hate to say it but I'd start looking for a new insurance company too. I don't believe that anyone else other than chrysler has the windsheild that goes with the rain sensors etc.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i'm checking with my insurance company tomorrow to see what their policy is.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just got mine replaced due to a nice boulder-made crack.Called a local shop and they came to my work 50 miles away from them and charged me $285 installed with rain sensing so use that as a baseline to get a good deal. :arms:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Got a nice 8" crack in the bottom center of the windshield from a stone impact. Insurance company says I have to pay extra if I want a genuine Chrysler windshield. I've got rain sensors on the SRT. Anyone know if the aftermarket even makes these windshield. Any idea what the difference in price would be for a Chrysler one?
By law, the insurance co. must replace with original parts if you insist at no extra charge.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
I yanked the rain sensor out of my 300CSRT on day one. I did not like looking at it on the windshield, plus I know how to turn on the wipers, when I see rain hit the windshield. :pat:

I just replaced the windshield on the 300CSRT (no rain sensor) $115 installed (tax included).

The Super Bee gets her new windshield this week. Both cars got rock chip and crack damage when we drove to Spring Festival this year.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rain Sensor

Last year when i did my tints (got the windshield tinted also) they took off the rain sensor and lost it.

Does anybody here have an extra one they want to sell?

Freebird, i saw that you took yours off...Care to get rid of it?

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Last year when i did my tints (got the windshield tinted also) they took off the rain sensor and lost it.

Does anybody here have an extra one they want to sell?

Freebird, i saw that you took yours off...Care to get rid of it?
It is useless once you take it off the windshield. It can not be re attached to the windshield. That is why they ask you if you have the rain sensor or not, when buying a new windshield. The rain sensor is actually installed at the glass manufacturer, not locally when you get the windshield installed. If you take it off, you can not re attach it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
By law, the insurance co. must replace with original parts if you insist at no extra charge.
This isn't necessarily true in all states. In fact, in most states, they only have to use new parts (and even then, only if your car is less than a prescribed number of years old), not necessarily OEM parts.

Insurance laws do vary from state to state, however, and even if your state doesn't require the use of OEM parts, some companies offer an OEM replacement parts rider to their policies.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rick,

What insurance company do you have?

Scott

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Update - Got the windshield replaced today with Chrysler glass - no charge!
Congratulations HR! Glad to see they owned up to their responsibility. My insurance company guarantees only to use OEM parts. I hope it didn’t take as long as Chris Butler’s took to get. :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
I yanked the rain sensor out of my 300CSRT on day one. I did not like looking at it on the windshield, plus I know how to turn on the wipers, when I see rain hit the windshield. :pat:

I just replaced the windshield on the 300CSRT (no rain sensor) $115 installed (tax included).

The Super Bee gets her new windshield this week. Both cars got rock chip and crack damage when we drove to Spring Festival this year.
The ride to SF did my wndshield in as well and I developed a nice long crack in it after the TX sun got to it. I replaced it last week for $255. My car has the rain sensor but I told them I didn't need to spend the extra loot. My install guy pulled the sensor and re-attached it to the new glass. I haven't tested it, but if it doesn't work, (to me) its no loss...

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
The ride to SF did my wndshield in as well and I developed a nice long crack in it after the TX sun got to it. I replaced it last week for $255. My car has the rain sensor but I told them I didn't need to spend the extra loot. My install guy pulled the sensor and re-attached it to the new glass. I haven't tested it, but if it doesn't work, (to me) its no loss...
Sorry to hear your windshield tanked as well Eddie. I take it your $255 was for an OEM windshield? The place hear in Houston charged me $110 installed. Mine may not be OEM, but at $100 a pop. I could replace my windshield each year if I wanted to.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to hear your windshield tanked as well Eddie. I take it your $255 was for an OEM windshield? The place hear in Houston charged me $110 installed. Mine may not be OEM, but at $100 a pop. I could replace my windshield each year if I wanted to.
It supposed to be OEM, but at the price you got, that's the MUCH better deal!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts