Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Windshield Washer "Sprayer" - works like ASS at hwy speed. - VIDEOS!

Hello all!

Anybody else notice this on their 300??

When the car is sitting still or at very low speed (under 15 mph), the two nozzles on the hood will provide complete coverage of the windshield when you engage the windshield washer sprayers. That's as it should be.

However, it is a different story as the car runs at higher speeds!!

Using my washer with cruise set at 55 mph, the water only hits the lower half - 50% of my windshield. That's pathetic.

And if I try using them at 65 mph (speed limit on many of my state's highways), the coverage is more like the lower one-fourth - 25% of the windshield!!! That is horrible!!

And NOT very safe if you ask me. I live in a "winter" state and quite often the salt and spray from the roads and travelling cars put a nice blanket of "crud" on the windshield. Trying to clean this off at 65 mph is somewhat difficult when the water only hits the very "bottom" of the windshield.

Why couldn't DMC have went with sprayers that were integrated into the wiper??

Anybody else notice this??

JFF:D

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Mine seem fine on the freeway, I'll check today to look for this. I am sure you have checked your nozzles to see they are free of crud/corosion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea, I see other cars on the road with those two zits on the hood, ooozing and leaving remains on the hood. :)

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
JustForFun said:
Hello all!

Anybody else notice this on their 300??

When the car is sitting still or at very low speed (under 15 mph), the two nozzles on the hood will provide complete coverage of the windshield when you engage the windshield washer sprayers. That's as it should be.

However, it is a different story as the car runs at higher speeds!!

Using my washer with cruise set at 55 mph, the water only hits the lower half - 50% of my windshield. That's pathetic.

And if I try using them at 65 mph (speed limit on many of my state's highways), the coverage is more like the lower one-fourth - 25% of the windshield!!! That is horrible!!

And NOT very safe if you ask me. I live in a "winter" state and quite often the salt and spray from the roads and travelling cars put a nice blanket of "crud" on the windshield. Trying to clean this off at 65 mph is somewhat difficult when the water only hits the very "bottom" of the windshield.

Why couldn't DMC have went with sprayers that were integrated into the wiper??

Anybody else notice this??

Dude, most cars with hood mounted type nozzles act this way. It is NOT a fault. In fact it makes sense. Parked you need washer everywhere...at speed if you hit the lower part of the windshield, the airflow pushes washer up onto the glass. If you have the same spray as parked when you were doing 60, you would be spraying half the roof, pissing people off behind you by spraying them...and YOU become the hazard.

BTW, for whatever reason, I have never liked the way wiper mounted nozzles performed.

Also, if you have this kind of crud build up, I suggest a regular routine of RainX. Works pretty well in our monsoons down here and bug covered windshields, and worked well when I lived in Cleveland, OH winters.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, my nozzles are not clogged. The car only has 1700 miles on it, and like I said, they work fine when the car is sitting still.

I also don't agree that they are supposed to act this way as jjs would suggest. I have had other cars with similar hood nozzles that still managed to cover the entire windshield at highway speed. And I was NOT a hazard to other drivers. That is silly.

And the theory that the wind simply pushes the liquid up the windshield simply doesn't play out to be true in the real world AND on the highway. The wipers move to quick and push it all back towards the hood.

I stand by my assertion that they should still spray higher up when the car is moving at highway speeds.

I may, however, look into the RainX. But I have never had much faith in products like that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
JFF--

Ever drive behind someone who just HAD to run the washers, which then spray all over your own car behind the offender at highway speed?

That's the hazard, not really dangerous, but certainly a nuisance.

BTW, mine cover the windshield at all speeds I've uised them. Whether this is because of coverage of the nozzles or assistance of airflow remains to be seen, but I will report back.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
JustForFun said:
Yeah, my nozzles are not clogged. The car only has 1700 miles on it, and like I said, they work fine when the car is sitting still.

I also don't agree that they are supposed to act this way as jjs would suggest. I have had other cars with similar hood nozzles that still managed to cover the entire windshield at highway speed. And I was NOT a hazard to other drivers. That is silly.

And the theory that the wind simply pushes the liquid up the windshield simply doesn't play out to be true in the real world AND on the highway. The wipers move to quick and push it all back towards the hood.

I stand by my assertion that they should still spray higher up when the car is moving at highway speeds.

I may, however, look into the RainX. But I have never had much faith in products like that.

OK, whatever.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Taha24 said:
lol, sorry i'm not contributing to the thread, but you actually drive at the federal speed limit on a highway?
Why, of course I do - especially on Illinois' expensive and poorly maintained toll roads - "don't you"?

;)

CITADELGRAD87 said:
Ever drive behind someone who just HAD to run the washers, which then spray all over your own car behind the offender at highway speed?

That's the hazard, not really dangerous, but certainly a nuisance.
Sure - we ALL have. But that doesn't change the fact that at certain times we ALL have to use our washers "at" highway speeds. I would ask you:

"Ever drive behind a semi or large truck on the day or two after a snowstorm, while the roads are still melting, mixed with the salt the plows layed down, and the semi or truck is kicking up a constant stream of salty, misty crud onto your windshield - stuff that requires washer fluid to remove effectively? What do you suggest? That we pull over, clean our windshield, and then resume travelling - repeating as necessary?"

LOL!

The fact remains that using our washers at highway speed is a common occurence, and the people who do so, should not be thought of as "bad or hazardous" drivers. They are simply cleaning their windshields so they can see properly. So what if their overspray hits my car?? How is that any different than if it was simply raining out? Turn on your wiper and remove it.
Also, if it is an issue, you could always follow the "offender" at a longer distance.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
JFF, I live in Ottawa - the snow, freezing rain and salt capital of the universe. I go through a litre of windshield washer in a week (or less, at times). Also, I like to drive fast.

In the winter, we get the sun at a low angle here much of the day and salt slush needs a great wiper washer combo. the one on the 300 is well designed. (I also like the fact that the resevoir holds a full litre and even has a low fluid warning light).

The problem you are talking about might be just your car. I have never heard anyone mention this on this board.

BTW, I clean my windshield with a microfibre cloth and denatured alcohol. I use a polish on the clean glass such as rainX or Zaino gloss enhancer. And I buy windshield washer fluid with teflon in it when I can find it. (but I only drink it socially and could quit any time, if i wanted to:D )

·
Registered
107 Posts
JustForFun said:
Why, of course I do - especially on Illinois' expensive and poorly maintained toll roads - "don't you"?

;)
Pshaw! Illinois highways aren't that bad. Atleast not here I live. Going 55 would make me go crazy. Even my mother won't drive at 55.

80-90 is the way to go! :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
My washers cover the entire windshield at any speed up to 90 (haven't tried them above). They are FAR better than the crappy washer on my old Audi. It did not produce a spray, just a single winpy little stream. Those were absolutely the worst washers I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
jjs said:
, I suggest a regular routine of RainX. Works pretty well in our monsoons down here and bug covered windshields, and worked well when I lived in Cleveland, OH winters.
I find Rain X washer fluid especially good, it's all I buy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
How to fix the problem.

Well, here is how to fix that problem.

When you are going on the highway spray the water when the wiper is about to go back up and the water will spray ontop of the wiper. Therefore it will push the water along and clean the window. You must do this a few times to fully clean the window. Since the water only sprays on the bottom 25% dont do it while the wiper is going down because you will push all the water down below the 25%. What you want to do is push it up to the other 75%.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
deegee said:
My washers cover the entire windshield at any speed up to 90 (haven't tried them above).
deegee,

Thanks for your respectful and honest assessment of your washers performance. Mine doesn't perform like this for some reason. Maybe my washer motor is weak.

Maybe I will bring this up to my service manager. Especially since nobody else has posted with similar performance as I am seeing with my sprayers.

Apparently "everyone elses" washers hit the entire windshield, even at very high speeds. I wish mine did.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
C-Man said:
I tried my washers this evening at 65 mph and they had no problem covering the entire windshield.
Hmmmmm..something is "definately" not to spec with my washers then. If you guys are seeing FULL spray coverage on your windshield at these speeds, then mine isn't right.

At 65 mph, my spray barely hits the bottom quarter of my windshield and that is it. The top 3/4 of the windshield is DRY until the wipers move some liquid up there (very little at that)

That can't be right.

·
BLOODY ADMENSTRUATOR
7,554 Posts
JustForFun said:
Hmmmmm..something is "definately" not to spec with my washers then. If you guys are seeing FULL spray coverage on your windshield at these speeds, then mine isn't right.

At 65 mph, my spray barely hits the bottom quarter of my windshield and that is it. The top 3/4 of the windshield is DRY until the wipers move some liquid up there (very little at that)

That can't be right.

Just a thought . . . Check the spray on your headlights. If the lower washer hose got disconnected, all your fluid may be going under the car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Northern Rider said:
Just a thought . . . Check the spray on your headlights. If the lower washer hose got disconnected, all your fluid may be going under the car.
My car didn't come with headlight washers. I didn't get the HID option on my car.

But thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts