Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Wifi/internet would go really well with the Minivan and the extended wheelbase 300.

I envision a 300 with rear tray tables where you can put a laptop and plug into auxilliary 12V.

Or the minivan with tables for laptops.

They claim you'll be able to use video game systems online but I really doubt it cause latency on the roads would be horrendous. You'd lag out of everything. This type of thoroughput is good for text.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i dont think it will do much for consumers. most consumers dont care about using wifi while driving. that is what your phone is for. im sure using wifi through your mobile phone company will be cheaper than the service chrysler will be standing up

·
Registered
650 Posts
i dont think it will do much for consumers. most consumers dont care about using wifi while driving. that is what your phone is for. im sure using wifi through your mobile phone company will be cheaper than the service chrysler will be standing up
It is $30 per month which is competitive with phone plans. My guess they will be using AT&T 3G network. Equipment is extra start up cost of course.

I like the idea of internet, but wondering if they should allow this Wi-Fi thingy to connect to cell phones with existing data plans for tethering. They you do not need to pay for extra data plan. Of course the data connection goes with the phone, not car. I am also not sure if this 3G data connections remain active while phone is on a call. If they do everything is perfect, if not then no Internet when phone call is active.

For driver it mostly useless unless the person is a road warrior. I cannot imagine myself using the thing much as I have to drive. :pat: When I am not driving I am not sticking inside the car unless I am waiting for something. I have been analyzing possible usage patterns as I am thinking about installing a Car PC. I like the idea of flexibility PC gives, but so far I have a bit of trouble finding really good reasons to do this.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
3G internet is supposed to be quite a bit faster than EDGE if the lag is what you're speaking of, I doubt it'll be nearly as big an issue...

The question is what's the point? I suppose it's justifiable - but not at $30/month. For $20, I'd do it - especially if you take advantage of skype instead of having to use a cellphone plan! With the car, you could actually get away with this. Now, imagine being able to use skype through UConnect.. WOW.

$30/month.. damn Chrysler, are you insane? Throw skype on the nav unit and advertise it as an alternative for those who don't wish to pay for a cellphone (aaand it'd MURDER onstar's in-car phone service!)

Of course, that could also piss the cellphone carriers off so much they'd have a hard time finding one to give them 3G service. XD

No need for satellite radio either, internet radio can be just as good (and sometimes better). :)

Too bad the 3G service won't be too hot, if it was they could throw digital TV service in (haha, take advantage of AT&T's uverse network. If only...)

·
Registered
650 Posts
This is where car PC comes in. Virtually unlimited possibilities. What they need to do is to open interface to allow programming buttons or use of touch screen for sending commends to the PC. I cannot imagine use of regular OS being convenient in a car, but some simplified configurable button interface (similar to Windows Media Center or even MyGIG screens) will work for majority of us and you can run almost anything. It is difficult imagine car makers can satisfy everyone's need, but everyone can manage their own PC.

·
Premium Member
4,455 Posts
ipod touch + 3rd party apps > carputer, especially since you can take it in your pocket and not have to worry about it getting taken in a smash-n-grab!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts