Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
why dont you run windows vitual PC, emulating XP & an earlier IE (eg IE7) ? The virtual PC is actually built into Windows 7
Now that is a good idea.
I did try setting a virtual version of XP just after i had installed Windows 7 and got in a bit of difficulty trying to do just that.

Now youve mentioned that ive thought of an easier way because the way i can use my PC.
Ive got a removable caddy that is my boot drive and running Windows 7 so i could just keep a seperate caddy with a basic set up of windows on it.

It would be a bit inconvenient, but it would be a simple way round it.

May give the virtual pc a try though.

jack

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If you have the later versions of office (2007 and above) on your PC (most people have) then open it in word and then save it as a pdf.

Word supports HTML and has the builtin PDF converter.
Word will load an html page but non of the links will work because the script needs to run under Java to be able to navigate the pages.

I didnt realise you could save a word document as a pdf file but your correct, you can with an addin.

Thanks.
jack

·
Registered
145 Posts
The problem with the HTML version is that it uses framesets and targets in order to display the pages when you click on the links in the left hand pane. So, when you click on a link of the left, it has a target of "TEXTGRAPHIC", which is the main pane.

Frames and framesets are not supported in HTML5, so the _parent, _top and framename values are now mostly used with iframes.

IE11 is now HTML 5 compliant, as are Firefox and Chrome.

Just hunting to see if I can find a way around it! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok, found a way of running it in IE 11 - but it's a bit of a fudge.

1. Open MSIE 11.
2. Press the F12 key and wait for the debugger tools to come up.
3. At the foot of the debugger tools, bottom left, there's an icon that looks like a PC screen and a mobile phone - click it.
4. On 'Document Mode' - change it to 8
5. Navigate to the 'default.htm' of the LX manual. It should work.

I've attached a screen shot of it running on my laptop in IE11.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

1. Open MSIE 11.
3. At the foot of the debugger tools, bottom left, there's an icon that looks like a PC screen and a mobile phone - click it.

Thanks very much for that.
I had read somewhere about "Document Mode" but couldn't get it working. I am used to the F12 key and having to set "Quirks" and "Compatibility View" and have to do this to get IE9 to work, so I'm used to having to "fiddle" to get it working.

Will give it a try and let you know, but it sounds promising. I would never have got there myself because I tried everything I could think of.

Assuming it does work (which I am confident it will), I think a command can be but in the script file to start it automatically in "Document Mode" but I would have to really search for how to edit the script file and get the commands right.

I really appreciate your effort.
Thanks again Matrix 1975.

EDIT
(Is it possible to get it working under Firefox by forcing Document Mode) ?

Jack

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Your a Star matrix 1975.

It works as you said.
You seem like an expert with computers and I thought I was OK.

Do you know if its possible to tick (or untick) a box in "settings" or "options", to prevent having to "Allow Active X" when loading the W/S manual ?

Dont suppose you know what commands would be needed in the script file to allow it to start in "Document Mode".

I had trouble navigating to the file location initially but eventually got there. Couldn't just change to Doc Mode once then Double click on html file because Doc Mode then cancelled when opened up. Had to navigate to it as you said, which i found a bit messy. (Not used to navigating via IE)

Jack

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Jack,

From what I can see with Firefox, there's no kind of compatibility mode. I've fired up the manual in Firefox and when I click on the links I'm just getting the text unformatted in the main "TEXTGRAPHIC" frame. The pages are XML/XSLT so I'm assuming the Firefox doesn't like the way they're structured.

I'll have a look.

·
Administrator
13,325 Posts

1. Open MSIE 11.

thanks - that also cured my 'you can only view 1 page before you need to hit "home" to view the next'

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok Firefox aficionados, I've found a fix (I think), or one that works for me, I'm running Firefox 23.0.

I edited the file \lx\en_US\y2008\lx\si\xml\twl_format.xsl

1. Line 4 of the file which was this:

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/strict">

Becomes this:

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

2. Line 7 of the file which was this:

<xsl:eek:utput method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="iso-8859-1" />

Becomes this (effectively removing it):

<!-- xsl:eek:utput method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="iso-8859-1" / -->

I've attached a pic of it running in my Firefox.

It doesn't fix it in Google Chrome however. That might be for another day, and maybe if people ask for it.

Cheers
Thomas

Attachments

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok Firefox aficionados, I've found a fix (I think), or one that works for me, I'm running Firefox 23.0.

Becomes this:

It doesn't fix it in Google Chrome however. That might be for another day, and maybe if people ask for it.

Cheers
Thomas
Thanks Thomas, will have a go later when i get to computer. Youve lost me initially cos im not on a computer but im sure it will make more sense when i see script.

jack

·
Registered
145 Posts
Seems there's a couple of different versions of the LX 2008 manual which are in HTML format.

One version (on my laptop) has this file en_US\y2008\lx\si\xml\twl_format.xsl whereas another version that I downloaded from a link earlier in this thread has en_US\y2008\lx\si\xml\twl_formatc.xsl

Starting from scratch, using the one referenced earlier in this thread, by "doctoring" the main "default.htm" in the "en_US" dir, to use iframes instead of frames and altering the CSS to get the show/hide stuff for the entries for the TOC (Table of Contents) - mine now always show all, as well as amending the XSL to display in the target iframe properly, I've got a version which does the Service Information straight in MSIE11 with no compatibility mode necessary.

Earlier I did look to see if it were possible to start MSIE in some kind of compatibility mode without having to venture into the Debugger tools and it doesn't seem there's anything. If anything it looks like Microsoft are deprecating such things. In MSIE 10 and earlier it were possible to specify a Standards mode in the HTML, you'd use something like:

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9">

But, Microsoft don't want to let you do that anymore. (Guess it's cause MSIE is overweight enough without having to include code to get it display legacy stuff! :))

Wondering how hard it would be to convert it all to PDF.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Seems there's a couple of different versions of the LX 2008 manual which are in HTML format.

One version (on my laptop) has this file en_US\y2008\lx\si\xml\twl_format.xsl whereas another version that I downloaded from a link earlier in this thread has en_US\y2008\lx\si\xml\twl_formatc.xsl

Starting from scratch, using the one referenced earlier in this thread, by "doctoring" the main "default.htm" in the "en_US" dir, to use iframes instead of frames and altering the CSS to get the show/hide stuff for the entries for the TOC (Table of Contents) - mine now always show all, as well as amending the XSL to display in the target iframe properly, I've got a version which does the Service Information straight in MSIE11 with no compatibility mode necessary.

Earlier I did look to see if it were possible to start MSIE in some kind of compatibility mode without having to venture into the Debugger tools and it doesn't seem there's anything. If anything it looks like Microsoft are deprecating such things. In MSIE 10 and earlier it were possible to specify a Standards mode in the HTML, you'd use something like:

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9">

But, Microsoft don't want to let you do that anymore. (Guess it's cause MSIE is overweight enough without having to include code to get it display legacy stuff! :))

Wondering how hard it would be to convert it all to PDF.
Sorry a bit over my head. ^^^^^^^ I get most of it but don't fully understand it.

I cant see it being possible to convert to a pdf and maintain the navigation structure, but it would be great if it could be done. I would imagine it would be a lot of man hours required and it wouldn't warrant the effort. Not just a case of running it through a conversion program I'm sure.

I am though very pleased with what you have managed to sort out.

Sorry, I haven't had chance to try under Firefox yet but will definitely try and let you know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Becomes this:

Cheers
Thomas
Thomas,

Tried your modified Firefox version by amending the file which on mine is the "formatc" version and I could navigate to the "Service" page and open it up but couldnt open any further sections.

I assume the problem relates to the difference in the "formatc" file.
BTW, I copied and pasted the data from the lines above to save any typo's.

Dont think I did anything wrong (opened and saved by "notepad" so no extra characters put in)

I am very happy to keep using it via IE though. Dont find any problems going the F12 "Document Mode" bit.

Jack

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thought you had found the answer then but no.
That only converts one particular page to a pdf file. There are thousands of pages involved in the html manual and a "script" runs in the background that makes it interactive and jump between drawings and locations.

It is a much better manual than a pdf version but im afraid im eventually going to have a problem keeping it working for one reason or another. (Mainly IE updates). I have though stopped the system trying to update to IE10 by runn a seperate Microsft Toolkit file on computer. (Its not straight forward to stop IE9 updating to IE10 (No option to disable updates, it just does itrs own thing)
If you really do want to convert it to .pdf then this might be worth a look

<http://www.online-convert.com/supported-format/convert-html-to-pdf>

41 - 57 of 57 Posts