Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hit the strip for my last time of the season. XCITsNU showed up later and we got a pair of runs in before I had to leave. I didn't turn in any impressive times, and never got to run with a cool engine. However, I believe we ran what must be the closest SRT-8 drag race possible!!!

I got the reaction time jump, but didn't hook up as well and had a slower 60 ft time.

1st measure point: 60 ft: I lead at the 60 ft mark by 0.001 seconds
2nd measure point: 330 ft: I still lead by 0.001 seconds
3rd measure point: 660 ft: I now lead by an entire 0.01 seconds

At this point (1/8 mile) my car is clocked at 83.76mph, XCITsNU is clocked at 83.75 mph. At those speeds my 0.01 second lead equalled 14.56 inches.

4th measure point: 1000 ft: I lead by 0.017 seconds

XCITsNU starts to pick up ground again.......

Finish line: Neither of us can even tell who won. We pick up our time slips.....
I win the race by 0.0005 seconds!!! That's five ten-thousandths of a second. At our finishing speed of 107 mph, I won the race by.......

0.94 INCHES!!!!

That's right - at 60 ft we were virtually even. I opened up a 14 INCH lead and hang on to win by less than one inch! :banana:

I've got to tell you - that was a heck of a lot of fun!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hanging chads all over again

You guys are gonna have to go to court to see who wins the pink slips...

Seriously though, that must have been incredible!
Were you guys looking at each other along the whole strip?
I'll bet you had that weird feeling that the trip took a lot longer than 13.x seconds -- you guys' minds must have been racing

Couldn't duplicate that if you tried! Heck who could even have imagined it?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jmatt...

NICE!!!

so what was the final 1/4 time?

Don't take this wrong - but you are not selling me on the headers being helpful... :wink1:
and I know you prefaced it a little for us...
so the question is do you see a difference?
Thanks in advance!

NICE JOB XCITsNU!!! - still stock - amazing...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did XCITsNU have his TSB situation straighten out? That would have made a huge difference because his car was running killer before the new TSB.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The times on that run were 13.148 for me and 13.090 for him. I know that he ran a 12.85 later on.

Keep in mind that he does have the Magnaflows, and also has the Mopar CAI. He has the GSM torque management mod too. Finally, he weighs 40 pounds less than me, and I had over a half tank of gas. (I don't know how full his tank was though). Finally, his car just runs abnormally strong. When he had stock exhaust and I had Magnaflows on, he could still beat me by a 10th every time. I admittedly ran terrible today. My 60 foot times were bad, I never got a good run with cool temps (and this is now the 3rd time in my life I've done this).

The headers definitely helped my car. Adding the headers helped my times compared to when I just had the Magnaflow MORE than adding Magnaflow to XCITsNU's car did compared to his stock exhaust.

Bottom line - he's just good at knowing what to do with engine temp, staging, pre-race burnout, etc. I've got a lot to learn.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
JMatt said:
The times on that run were 13.148 for me and 13.090 for him. I know that he ran a 12.85 later on.

Keep in mind that he does have the Magnaflows, and also has the Mopar CAI. He has the GSM torque management mod too. Finally, he weighs 40 pounds less than me, and I had over a half tank of gas. (I don't know how full his tank was though). Finally, his car just runs abnormally strong. When he had stock exhaust and I had Magnaflows on, he could still beat me by a 10th every time. I admittedly ran terrible today. My 60 foot times were bad, I never got a good run with cool temps (and this is now the 3rd time in my life I've done this).

The headers definitely helped my car. Adding the headers helped my times compared to when I just had the Magnaflow MORE than adding Magnaflow to XCITsNU's car did compared to his stock exhaust.

Bottom line - he's just good at knowing what to do with engine temp, staging, pre-race burnout, etc. I've got a lot to learn.....
Nice job JMatt and good runs. I'm glad you guys were able to squeeze in a few more runs,before the snow flys.I love our cars,there amazing in these cool temps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
XCITsNU,whats happenin'?! Did you get that TSB situation straightened out before track day?! Is the beast back?! Train that beast! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
can't wait for this reply...

JMatt - great points - thanks for the reminder -

refresh my memory so I don't have to find it...
what was the gain at the wheel with the headers?

after you clarifying for those of us that are just lame (me, no one else)...

JMatt you are just learning the strip and xcitsnu has been doing it a while right guys?
thanks!

impressive runs none the less...
not trying to detract in any way...
But Johnny G brought up a good point - did the TSB hurt you?

Outta here - dinner is calling - date night!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nice runs and glad you are having fun in the 'legal' location to have this type of fun!!

Now, I have to agree that even with the reasons given, the headers are not providing the power. With the area under the curve improvement you show on the dyno, you should be pulling away from him slowly, but steadily. I think this is pointing a remaining issue on doing both headers AND exhaust. They don't appear to work together right now. Tuning is needed badly for this SRT8 line!!

Don't take my word on the headers as a big negative...I have some of those things sitting under my bed for our SRT8, but I wasn't in a big rush until some X-pipe info was available.....Now, they may wait until somebody can start tuning this monster.

Todd

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
XCITsNU said:
Ok, I'll ask, why should we always tape a pubic hair to the front bumper? :smoker:
So you can win a race, that would have otherwise been a dead heat, by an RCH, XCITsNU. ;)

Great story, Matt. It both elevated my pulse rate and had me chuckling. Much fun. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
For those asking, the TSB has not been reversed. Although I thought that I'd trained it somewhat, at the track it shifted stubbornly at 6000 every time.

I let the car cool down and had two additional runs:

RT: .037, 60' 1.917, 1/4: 12.850, MPH: 109.14
RT: .082, 60':1.938, 1/4: 12.819, MPH: 109.70

The real question that I can't get off my mind is how much does 200 RPM's in 1st and 200 RPM's in 2nd give you? Sucks...

I want shift points at 6500 to 6800 RPM's. Can't wait for a tuner!!!

I think Shift points alone will get this car into the high 11's with just bolt ons.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
XCITsNU said:

No one likes a braggart! :wink1:

(j/k sweet runs. I need some bags of ice in the spring)

·
Registered
104 Posts
HP loss after peak, 6500 might be too high

XCITsNU said:
For those asking, the TSB has not been reversed. Although I thought that I'd trained it somewhat, at the track it shifted stubbornly at 6000 every time.

The real question that I can't get off my mind is how much does 200 RPM's in 1st and 200 RPM's in 2nd give you? Sucks...

I want shift points at 6500 to 6800 RPM's. Can't wait for a tuner!!!

I think Shift points alone will get this car into the high 11's with just bolt ons.

Hey Xcits, most engines have a peak HP per rpm. Had taken for granted that our rev limiter was set at peak HP. If that is the case (maybe I am naive), the result of hitting 6500 + might be slower quarter. I had an H2 Kawasaki 750 in the 70s, the two cycle quarter mile king at the time. If you went very far into red line, it defitely began to lose HP. Guess we will have to see, but you are the king here, and I respect your results and opinion.

My idea of quicker quarter would be a rear end gear. If you run it all the time, would probably get 13 miles to the gallon and be hard wear and tear on the engine (longevity wise), but the rear end is probably the simplest method of getting quicker quarter.

Richard

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WhiteDiamond said:
Nice runs and glad you are having fun in the 'legal' location to have this type of fun!!

Now, I have to agree that even with the reasons given, the headers are not providing the power. With the area under the curve improvement you show on the dyno, you should be pulling away from him slowly, but steadily. I think this is pointing a remaining issue on doing both headers AND exhaust. They don't appear to work together right now. Tuning is needed badly for this SRT8 line!!

Don't take my word on the headers as a big negative...I have some of those things sitting under my bed for our SRT8, but I wasn't in a big rush until some X-pipe info was available.....Now, they may wait until somebody can start tuning this monster.

Todd
I believe I'd actually have more power if I put the stock exhaust on downstream from the headers. It seems like cat-back systems add 20 hp/20ft/lbs. It also seems like headers add 20hp/20ft/lbs. I concede: the combination isn't nearly as strong. I must make at least as much HP as XCITsNU, because I weigh more, yet can get virtually the same e.t. and within 99.5% of the same trap speed. I haven't decided yet exactly what exhaust system combo you'll find me running next March/April.

That's as brutally honest as I can be guys. I try to be very unbiased.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think the mods we do now will pay off in spades in the future (not too distant now with tuners around the corner). Rear end gears when they come out will be a very cool addition to our SRT-8's to firm up that rear end and give us some cool numbers at the track. Stay tunned...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think mods will payoff very well once somebody cracks the PCM in these cars. Apparently the Hemi Ram learning tables are locked in a very narrow range. It that is true in the truck combination, I am betting our learn tables are locked in an even narrower range(I lean this way due to emissions considerations DCX must face when certifing a drivetrain).

Todd

·
Registered
476 Posts
They need to relocate Headquarters to Ohio or Kentucky where we've eliminated emissions checks. California will probably be the last state holding out at some point in the future. With engines and fuels being what they are today, it's not the individual emissions that will determine the pollution, but the sheer volume of vehicles on the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts