Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am from Canada..and i am looking at importing a new 07 with 300 miles on it ..the warranty is non transferable...would you suggest this is a good idea...as it is new..or no way this is a bad idea?

I can get a new SRT8 07 for about 35K after all is said and done..where as a new one here will cost me in the 50's.

·
Premium Member
7,787 Posts
nope

no deal for me. What if your car is a "lemon"? These cars are complex, and most dealers barely even have the expertise to service them, much less really repair them.

Man, that could get EXPENSIVE!

Make 'em throw in an extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Warranty

no deal for me. What if your car is a "lemon"? These cars are complex, and most dealers barely even have the expertise to service them, much less really repair them.

Hey Steve,

thanks...extended warranty through Chrysler or through a private party?

Its like 3K which is fine..is there a cheaper route?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Hello,

I am from Canada..and i am looking at importing a new 07 with 300 miles on it ..the warranty is non transferable...would you suggest this is a good idea...as it is new..or no way this is a bad idea?

I can get a new SRT8 07 for about 35K after all is said and done..where as a new one here will cost me in the 50's.
You know I almost did just that for my Jeep. When you consider a fully optioned one will cost ~$69,000 CDN MSRP, that's a whole lot of money that "could" be left aside in the event of troubles.

However, I wouldn't do it for a "new" 2007 as the one you have in mind. Truth is it isn't new even with only 300 miles on it. That car lost 30% just driving it off the lot.

If you're dead set on it, I'd be looking at a new 2008, but then you get the fishing pole and that awful trunk. Then again, it won't be long till the 09's are out. Tough decision, but like I said I almost went for it, warranty be damned.

Bernie

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts

You can't do that in Canada Steve. If you buy one in the US, you automatically forfeit the warranty. If you could we'd all be buying them and be saving a bundle. Chrysler isn't going to give a warranty to you for sure. I suppose you could get a third party warranty, but how good are they? Not good in my mind.

Bernie

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can't do that in Canada Steve. If you buy one in the US, you automatically forfeit the warranty. If you could we'd all be buying them and be saving a bundle. Chrysler isn't going to give a warranty to you for sure. I suppose you could get a third party warranty, but how good are they? Not good in my mind.

Bernie
Do they do that on brand new cars?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Do they do that on brand new cars?
Yep, like I said they automatically void the warranty. It's meant to discourage this very thing.

Bernie

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep, like I said they automatically void the warranty. It's meant to discourage this very thing.

Bernie
I guess that makes sense. (I learned something new today) :biggrin:

The comfort factor with having a warranty goes out the window then.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Since in a true sense it is no longer new, they could title it and then resell to you as a used demo or whatever. I do not know if this makes sense at all, but then you probably can get balance of the warranty transferred.

On another hand if you caught proper programs a bit earlier in the year and a good dealer willing to move cars you could probably get brand new one in Canada for 42K before sales taxes with cash purchase. It is not that far from what you found. Considering new design, warranty and no import expenses this could be a perfect deal. Unfortunately you just missed them. The current programs do not appear to be as good.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Since in a true sense it is no longer new, they could title it and then resell to you as a used demo or whatever. I do not know if this makes sense at all, but then you probably can get balance of the warranty transferred.

On another hand if you caught proper programs a bit earlier in the year and a good dealer willing to move cars you could probably get brand new one in Canada for 42K before sales taxes with cash purchase. It is not that far from what you found. Considering new design, warranty and no import expenses this could be a perfect deal. Unfortunately you just missed them. The current programs do not appear to be as good.
I just got $10,000 off my Jeep for paying cash along with some kind of employee discount amounting to a total of $15,000 off the bottom line. What that meant is that I paid ~$69,000 out the door and that included PST/GST (13%), Green Levy Tax ($4,000) and extended warranty and EVERYTHING else. The window sticker price was that much with all options, so yeah there are GREAT incentives out there right now on NEW Chrysler vehicles.

As for the warranty, nope they won't transfer it under those conditions. Now if you were a resident in the US and moved up here of course the warranty would still be in effect.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Its purely a pricing issue and measuring the risk.
In short if the price is good enough to cover some minor problems then I would do it.
Afterall the cars are reliable aren't they?

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Rambit, what is custom in your Jeep?
Well, ordering had been closed in Canada for over three months and Chrysler opened it up for one day so mine could go through in early May. They actually ordered it, not the dealer. It's the only one in Canada with the Kicker High Performance audio system with surround sound confirmation in the EVIC and the only BB in Canada. An SRT engineer went to the plant and followed it through the build then delivered it to me. You can't beat that for personalized service and I don't think any other auto maker would come close to doing what they did for me. Am I happy? Damn straight I am!!!

Bernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Getting back to the Warranty issue. The Big three are being sued today by the Big leasing companies about this very issue.
This is what I would suggest. Buy the vehicle, in the US, get the best price there you can. Bringing it back into Canada is very simple. Canadians have already imported more than 200,000 vehicles from the US so far this year.
Now if and when your car requires Warranty Work, and the Cdn. Dealer refuses to provide, get an estimate in writing from the Dealer as to the actual cost of the work needed. Contact Chrysler Cda, in writing telling them about the refusal by the Dealer not to do the work!! don't worry they will give you the same nonsense record that conversation if possible!!!
Even better get something in writing, from them.
Then run down to your local Provincial Court House, get an Application for Small Claims Court. This will cost you about $100.00. Prepare and file it. Prepare your own Affidavit's regarding the conversations you've had with the Dealer/Chrysler Cda, include anything in writing from them, plus all Importation Doc's.
Within 14 Days you'll get a Court Date. Before you know it, someone from Chrysler Cda, will contact you trying to settle the matter. This where you have to be firm here. They pay for everything or let's see what the Judge has to say!!
They will try to play you around, be firm. Do don't threaten or BS them. Deal with the facts, only. They will finally do what you want. Because they are already being sued for Billions both here and in the US. This where your Warranty will be resolved, to your benefit
Good Luck
SOS

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
Getting back to the Warranty issue. The Big three are being sued today by the Big leasing companies about this very issue.
This is what I would suggest. Buy the vehicle, in the US, get the best price there you can. Bringing it back into Canada is very simple. Canadians have already imported more than 200,000 vehicles from the US so far this year.
Now if and when your car requires Warranty Work, and the Cdn. Dealer refuses to provide, get an estimate in writing from the Dealer as to the actual cost of the work needed. Contact Chrysler Cda, in writing telling them about the refusal by the Dealer not to do the work!! don't worry they will give you the same nonsense record that conversation if possible!!!
Even better get something in writing, from them.
Then run down to your local Provincial Court House, get an Application for Small Claims Court. This will cost you about $100.00. Prepare and file it. Prepare your own Affidavit's regarding the conversations you've had with the Dealer/Chrysler Cda, include anything in writing from them, plus all Importation Doc's.
Within 14 Days you'll get a Court Date. Before you know it, someone from Chrysler Cda, will contact you trying to settle the matter. This where you have to be firm here. They pay for everything or let's see what the Judge has to say!!
They will try to play you around, be firm. Do don't threaten or BS them. Deal with the facts, only. They will finally do what you want. Because they are already being sued for Billions both here and in the US. This where your Warranty will be resolved, to your benefit
Good Luck
SOS
Sounds good in theory, but if there were any success stories of someone actually doing this it would prove plausable. I've never heard of anyone doing this though.

If I were to do it, it would be based solely on the money I'd be saving. That could be set aside as a nest egg in the event of costly repairs. The amount saved is significant and I would think much more than potential repairs.

Then there's the legal issues. The corporate legal department is paid to prolong these things for years, probably longer than any warranty. It's also a matter of who has the deeper pockets if you intend to sue. They're not going to roll over on the judgement of a small claims court IMO.

Bernie

·
Registered
931 Posts
im still trying to figure out how chrysler gets away with this?? you are buying a chrysler vehicle. which you are entitled to have serviced and repaired at a chrysler dealership.

if i bought my car in canada, and was vacationing in the states. and my vehicle required warranty work, i could have it serviced in the U.S. so whats the difference if i buy one in another country, and bring it to canada?? the cars are all built in the same place. and chrysler pays all the warranty claims, regarless of country of origin. which means, chrysler should have no vested interest either way. the only persons who would support something ridiculous like voiding your warranty. would be the private canadian chrysler dealers. because they end up losing out on sales.

and besides all that, im pretty sure there is a law on the books somewhere. that says they cant void your warranty, unless you are found to be using your vehicle in off-road conditions. or something like that. like the mitsubishi evo guys, that lost there warranties, because they got caught autocrossing.

·
Administrator
23,441 Posts
... the only persons who would support something ridiculous like voiding your warranty. would be the private canadian chrysler dealers. because they end up losing out on sales.
That's what this issue is all about and it's meant to protect just that.

Bernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh Bernie, These cases are decided everyday in Small Claims Court's throughout the Province.The Reason why you don't find out about them is the Corporate Lawyers demand that you sign a non-disclosure agreement which is binding on both parties. Most of these cases never go to Court. Essentially, until proven otherwise, anytime your car fails, then you have a Defective Product Liability Claim against the MFG/Dealer. The Days are over when the Dealer/MFG have the final say as to what the Warranty on your Auto/MFG Product really means. The old tactics that you refer to are just that. The moment a Corporate Lawyers try that nonsense they will be met with sanctions by the Court and referral to the Law Society. Furthermore, most SCC Decisions are rendered in less than 30 days from your hearing date which of course are/can be Appealed by both parties.
The halycion days of the Auto Industry are just about over, The big leasing companies realize this so do the Big Three. The same crises that happened in the US over Mortgage's will happen to Car Leases here, over the next two years. That's why their in Court to mitigate their damages and change the way business is done.
By the way for those wishing to save thousands of dollars importing these very same auto's foreign and domestic go this sitewww.redflagdeals.com to see how many of your fellow Canadians have done just that so easily.
Regards
SOS

1 - 20 of 25 Posts