Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

Would you buy your 300 if it were $10k more?

• Yes

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 63 85.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we all laud our 300/300Cs with some minor issues.
I've seen members ask for more/better cabin amenities at the price which was purchased.

My question is, would you buy the 300/300C if it were $10k more??

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
tekhen said:
we all laud our 300/300Cs with some minor issues.
I've seen members ask for more/better cabin amenities at the price which was purchased.

My question is, would you buy the 300/300C if it were $10k more??
Very likely not (unless there were some really awesome amenities covered by that $10K). That kind of price puts it in there with Lexus GS 430 and Infiniti M45 type cars with incredible support and service to boot.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Just Right

Maybe, ..., I've been waiting a VERY LONG time for a real American car (RWD V8).
Japan's versions of V8 are way too small (all about 4.5 liters) for my liking (no replacement for displacement! :) )
They just don't "feel" right. (Yes, yes, I know they are very fast, and extremely efficient, virtual paragons of engineering prowess - you can keep'em, and that includes the smallish Northstar motor as well).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Redman, I'm there with you on that, while those Jap V8s make great HP for their size, none come close to the torque rating of the 5.7 Hemi.... 390ft/lbs is the greatest feeling of that motor, just keeps pulling and it never feels like you caught if off guard.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Redman said:
Maybe, ..., I've been waiting a VERY LONG time for a real American car (RWD V8).
Japan's versions of V8 are way too small (all about 4.5 liters) for my liking (no replacement for displacement! :) )
They just don't "feel" right. (Yes, yes, I know they are very fast, and extremely efficient, virtual paragons of engineering prowess - you can keep'em, and that includes the smallish Northstar motor as well).
I too agree with Redman. Since the Impala SS left us in 96 there hasn't been a real quick RWD American sedan (CV is not a performance car and the Mercury is a joke). Now once again we have two (300"C" and Magnum) and another on the way and with any luck, others. Americans have always been able to build something for less than everybody else for years. Yes they are not Lexus, Infiniti or others but they are us and the everyday guy can afford them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love this car, but for $46,000 I would be looking at BMW or Benz. For that $ why buy a new unproven product.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FOAMAVEN said:
I love this car, but for $46,000 I would be looking at BMW or Benz. For that $ why buy a new unproven product.
that's my point, I've read alot of threads that either ask for better materials(i.e less plastic etc.) or added features.

One reason I think most of us bought this car was the bang for the buck so why (even though you can) complain?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well I think most people just wanted a few basic things. It would cost a little more, but not 10k more.

But for your question. No way. 300 is at the limit of what I can afford (thats why i'm getting a Touring instead of C). And with 10k on the price, the base 300 would be 33k. Yea right....

·
Registered
81 Posts
DCX kept the price within our range so we all could have fun with after market items to make the car the way we think they should have. Does this make any sense? All I know is I'm having a ball adding to this fantastic machine.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would not spend 10 grand more on the car as is, but if they updated the interior with better quality materials then I would say the extra money would be worth it. As is, its a great vehicle, but the money I spent for the C was mostly for the drivetrain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mspeasl said:
I too agree with Redman. Since the Impala SS left us in 96 there hasn't been a real quick RWD American sedan (CV is not a performance car and the Mercury is a joke).
The '96 Impala's were about as fast as the Marauders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would spend the extra $10K if they added some upscale features to make the added cost worth the purchase to me. The current C is such a great buy that I can't imagine it getting any better. I know it will though.

HemiAddict

·
Registered
78 Posts
You would not get a Bimmer or Benz with a V8 for anywhere near 45k. Close to 60k for both. you could get close with an M45 Infiniti, but it would not be loaded out. Closer to 50k for that car. I'm not sure about the Lexus GS.

·
Registered
378 Posts
DownUnder said:
The '96 Impala's were about as fast as the Marauders.
DU ,
The OEM Marauders were not even close to the stock 94-96 Impalas.

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
I needed to do the calculation on what a 10k increase really means. Based on say starting price of US$34k, an extra 10k equates to approximately +30%.

No way I would go that distance.

When the 300C lands here it is going to be in the A$75,000 range. That is top end for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mspeasl said:
DU ,
The OEM Marauders were not even close to the stock 94-96 Impalas.
Not even close? Both cars do run pretty similar times stock contrary to what you believe.

1/4 mile times from owners for both cars (note, I couldn't find many stock 1/4 mile times for the Marauder from owners):

Marauder
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91755

Impala SS
http://impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005036#000002

Mag times:

Car-Stats.com Report for 2003 Mercury Marauder
Obtained from MT July, 2002
0-60: 6.9
1/4 Mile: 15.4
1/4 Speed: 93

Car-Stats.com Report for 1994 Chevrolet Impala SS
Obtained from MT June, 1994
0-60: 7.1
1/4 Mile: 15.4
1/4 Speed: 91

Now if we're comparing the 300C to the Marauder or Impala SS then that is what I would consider as not even close. ;)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the road & track special series guide to the chrysler 300 (obtained from dealer)

0 to 60 - 5.6
1/4 mile - 14.1 @ 101.1

from autoweek 08 Mar 04
0 to 60 - 6.3 "Chrysler claims 6.3 secs, whhich isconservative: Based on handheld stopwatch accuracy on the speedo, we suspect it will easily run it in 5.8 or 5.9secs when we get it to the test track".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts