Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

I was backing out from a parking lot when I heard (and felt) a loud thud! I think the concrete light post planted itself there when I was in the store,lol. I didn't see it when I was backing out because I had my shades on and the 5% tinted windows up (won't do that again!) when I hit the barrier. When I went to inspect the damage, I found it was all isolated to the rear bumper only, thank god!
How can I fix this? I don't think it's cost effective to make an insurance claim. My deductible is $500. Do I need to find and order another OEM bumper? Can this be fixed at a body shop? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
damn dude that sucks. But it could of been a lot worse. Don't know if a body shop can fix that since it's plastic/fiberglass. You might want to look into purchasing a color matched bumper from one of the supporting vendors.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Cleveland pick a part usually has good deals on rear bumpers. You could probably find an srt8 bumper for about $500 shipped.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The ironic part of this is that I just de-molded the car a few days ago and was so worried about getting dings.......:pat:

·
Banned
651 Posts
that looks purely cosmetic nothing bad. i scraped a really tall curb and my front bumper looked worse than that. i went to kragean and purchased this and it worked wonders, you cant even tell. Cost $10 try it before you go out and spending a couple hundreds on a new bumper.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that looks purely cosmetic nothing bad. i scraped a really tall curb and my front bumper looked worse than that. i went to kragean and purchased this and it worked wonders, you cant even tell. Cost $10 try it before you go out and spending a couple hundreds on a new bumper.
Thanks JROD! I'll be sure to give this a try tomorrow. Is it available at autozone or checkers?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Bad luck Jason. You seem to be taking it all very well mate.

I have a horrible suspicion that there will be a fair bit of damage under that bumper skin. I had a small truck bump into my SRT and it only left blemishes in the paint and a very slight distortion in one spot. the estimate for fix (given we get gouged here in OZ) is A$1800. There is a bumper absorber and bumper mount assembly under there and those parts along for mine were up around a grand.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I scraped a pole with my fender and because I have a base, completely stock, daily driver I decided to repair the paint my self. here is the before/after photo. It cost about 50 dollars in supplies

Its hard to tell in the photos but unless you are looking for it and with in 2 feet from the fender you wont notice the damage. This was my first paint/repair on a car.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work what did you use? Someone suggested a turtle wax repair product that I couldn't find anywhere local.

·
Banned
651 Posts
i remember seeing the turtle wax somewhere so i went on a hunt for it, autozone didnt have it, wal-mart, target didnt have it. i only found it at kragean. The chip stick fills in any deep scratches (its black) and then the wax (a black wax) made everything perfect. that was is specially made for black cars. check kreagen dude

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Good luck what ever you choose to do jasonb20!I hope everything works out for you because I always thought your car looked awesome.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck what ever you choose to do jasonb20!I hope everything works out for you because I always thought your car looked awesome.
Thanks Frankieo. Went to my Chrysler dealer today and they could get me a new bumper for $250. That does not include CM paint so I would have to find a bodyshop to spray it. Since I've touched it up a bit, I'm not really in a hurry to get this done anytime soon. I'd rather spend that money on another Mod!!!:biggrin:
I'll try to get some pic's up with the touch up I did.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a cool Idea get a rear bumper of a body kit that looks cool but does not stand out! I think it might be a little cheaper than the OEMs since they are aftermarket, or you might just scrap that idea, the aftermarket kits might be more than oem.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Posted last night and it disappeared somewhere in cyber space.
Hope you get your car fixed soon and it could be even better than before.

Your post made me say !!OUCH!!:scared:

Hate that c*@p happens

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice work what did you use? Someone suggested a turtle wax repair product that I couldn't find anywhere local.

If you mean me then I used meguires scratch X which removed the green paint

then used chrysler touch up paint and clear coat.

The clear coat I used was brushed on and is very streaky. When I sanded the paint with 2000 grit paper it turned the clear milky. I believe I was supposed to do that then polish it after but I didnt want to risk making the job worse. The next time I would try and get spray on clear coat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts