Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 12/31/04 my dealership located in the midwest used 10W/30 oil instead of the 5W/20 suggested my the service manual. The lead technician informed his supervisor that the 10W/30 was not a problem due to the weather conditions in the midwest. I then wanted to know, when did lead technicians start deviating from maintenance specifications and not bringing it to the customer's attention before acutual performing the work. I'm having the oil changed on 1/4/05.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the 10w/30 is recommended for the V-6 chrysler which could be why they made the mistake. I have got to post an oil question myself though.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
The lead technician is an idiot, DC clearly states any weight other 5w20 may effect the operation of the MDS. Now, if they used 0w20 M1 and said no harm in the midwest I would accept that but a thicker (let me guess, non synthetic) weight in cold country (I too am in the midwest and it was -5F Christmas eve, don't give me that yang that a 10w30 is ok) is entirely inadequate and unacceptable. A thicker weight anywhere anytime is unacceptable. You can see I am getting mad for you. Through 1/5/05 Advance Auto has Castrol Syntec 5w20 on sale at $3.48/qt. Buy a few 6 packs and bring them in for your next change (after the corrective change) and watch them, somebody named "corky" might just take your Syntec home and slip you some 20w50.

·
Registered
378 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
The lead technician is an idiot, DC clearly states any weight other 5w20 may effect the operation of the MDS. Now, if they used 0w20 M1 and said no harm in the midwest I would accept that but a thicker (let me guess, non synthetic) weight in cold country (I too am in the midwest and it was -5F Christmas eve, don't give me that yang that a 10w30 is ok) is entirely inadequate and unacceptable. A thicker weight anywhere anytime is unacceptable. You can see I am getting mad for you. Through 1/5/05 Advance Auto has Castrol Syntec 5w20 on sale at $3.48/qt. Buy a few 6 packs and bring them in for your next change (after the corrective change) and watch them, somebody named "corky" might just take your Syntec home and slip you some 20w50.
II kings,

What is your age?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I also had the wrong oil put in by the dealer. But no lame excuse, changed for free when I showed him the below:

09-015-04 ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY GRADES FOR 5.7L MULTIPLE DISPLACEMENT SYSTEM (MDS)

Date: 11/04/04

Model year(s): 2005

Description: Vehicles with the 5.7L Multiple Displacement System (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System(MDS).

NOTE: This information applies to U.S. and Canada markets only.

NOTE: For additional information refer to the service information or the Owner Manual.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Babyboomer 1949 said:
I then wanted to know, when did lead technicians start deviating from maintenance specifications and not bringing it to the customer's attention before acutual performing the work.
Oh, about the same time they got too lazy to look it up and too bull headed to admit the error...pretty much the story of the decline of American service industries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also had wrong oil put in by PITRE chrysler in scottsdale AZ. ( A 5 Star establishment.)

I had to show them where it is written in the manual AND in bright yellow letters on the filler cap.

Any other Zonies dealing with these guys might want to doublecheck what they are putting in your C.

swarick :mad:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I also had the wrong oil put in, and when I brought it up to the service manager he grabbed my keys and took it in right away and also put a notice on my car history in case I had a problem with my MDS at a later time. I had put about 200 Kms on the car at that point, after my oil change. He appeared to be quite concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
With so much confusion as to which oil to use, it concerns me that the Service Manager or Service Advisor might know the correct oil and list it on the service order, but by the time the car gets to the oil change pit, the guy there might just put in 10w30 or whatever they use on most vehicles. You would have no way to double check on this.:eek:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
JonW said:
With so much confusion as to which oil to use, it concerns me that the Service Manager or Service Advisor might know the correct oil and list it on the service order, but by the time the car gets to the oil change pit, the guy there might just put in 10w30 or whatever they use on most vehicles. You would have no way to double check on this.:eek:
Bring your own oil, then you know and they can't charge you $6.50/qt for synthetic.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
JonW said:
How I found mine was to read the service sheet that you get back at the end of service. I never did ask if the 5W20 oil was more expensive than the 10W30, so if it is then there could be problems with dealers making a buck by charging for the more expensive oil and putting in the cheaper stuff, although I can't see a dealer actually doing it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
JonW said:
Gang,

After retiring from Caterpillar Inc. a couple of years ago I wanted something to do and went to work for the local Chevrolet Dealer in their service department. I found that unless requested before your oil change, you will get whatever the house oil and weight is, if they use 20w 50 that’s what you will get. You have to remember that they do not use oil by the quart bottle; they use oil by the drum, that’s how they make money. So they will buy oil that is used by most cars and all cars will get it. That’s why I take my oil in and request the empty bottles back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Honestly, If the dealership you go to does not have the knowledge to put 5w-20 in a hemi equipped 300, then i would suggest finding andother dealership. That dealership should have a properly trained technician who knows that ANYTHING other than 5w-20 (be it synthetic or not) in these vehicles will cause problems with the MDS system. Believe it or not, a code will be set when the wrong viscocity oil is put in these cars.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
My local dealer charges $19.95 for an oil change (5qt). The svc. mgr. indicated they would knock off $3 for my own filter and $5 for my own oil which is not bad. Given that Valvoline charges $52 for a 5qt synthetic change (5.00/addl. qt) and a piss poor fram made filter I am much better off in cost and quality bringing my own supplies. Talk with your friendly svc. mgr. and work something out, fortunately mine is not an idiot like most.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Mikeyjohn said:
How I found mine was to read the service sheet that you get back at the end of service. I never did ask if the 5W20 oil was more expensive than the 10W30, so if it is then there could be problems with dealers making a buck by charging for the more expensive oil and putting in the cheaper stuff, although I can't see a dealer actually doing it.
At least at Wal-Mart all weights of the same brand are priced the same. I t seems to be a lack of attention to details and an "I don't care or know" attitude rather than something greedy or sinister though I have my suspicions too MJ.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Badss

You said a "code would be set" if the wrong oil is used. What does this mean and should I ask my clueless dealer to download and document this for future reference?

SWARICK
Jade C in AZ

·
Registered
477 Posts
mspeasl said:
Gang,

After retiring from Caterpillar Inc. a couple of years ago I wanted something to do and went to work for the local Chevrolet Dealer in their service department. I found that unless requested before your oil change, you will get whatever the house oil and weight is, if they use 20w 50 that’s what you will get. You have to remember that they do not use oil by the quart bottle; they use oil by the drum, that’s how they make money. So they will buy oil that is used by most cars and all cars will get it. That’s why I take my oil in and request the empty bottles back.
good point, i always take my own oil (also save all receipts) but in pit of my stomach im afraid that my syntec oil will be sustituted. finally found a dealer that has open bays so i can see them putting my oil in.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
swarick said:
You said a "code would be set" if the wrong oil is used. What does this mean and should I ask my clueless dealer to download and document this for future reference?

SWARICK
Jade C in AZ
I'll butt in, I don't know about a code but your dealer likely does'nt know sh*t from shinola, don't even bother. Ironically, they will readily locate that code with ease when it comes time to deny a warranty claim.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts