Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
II kings 9:20 said:
The lead technician is an idiot, DC clearly states any weight other 5w20 may effect the operation of the MDS. Now, if they used 0w20 M1 and said no harm in the midwest I would accept that but a thicker (let me guess, non synthetic) weight in cold country (I too am in the midwest and it was -5F Christmas eve, don't give me that yang that a 10w30 is ok) is entirely inadequate and unacceptable. A thicker weight anywhere anytime is unacceptable. You can see I am getting mad for you. Through 1/5/05 Advance Auto has Castrol Syntec 5w20 on sale at $3.48/qt. Buy a few 6 packs and bring them in for your next change (after the corrective change) and watch them, somebody named "corky" might just take your Syntec home and slip you some 20w50.
II kings,

What is your age?

·
Registered
169 Posts
JonW said:
With so much confusion as to which oil to use, it concerns me that the Service Manager or Service Advisor might know the correct oil and list it on the service order, but by the time the car gets to the oil change pit, the guy there might just put in 10w30 or whatever they use on most vehicles. You would have no way to double check on this.:eek:
Gang,

After retiring from Caterpillar Inc. a couple of years ago I wanted something to do and went to work for the local Chevrolet Dealer in their service department. I found that unless requested before your oil change, you will get whatever the house oil and weight is, if they use 20w 50 that’s what you will get. You have to remember that they do not use oil by the quart bottle; they use oil by the drum, that’s how they make money. So they will buy oil that is used by most cars and all cars will get it. That’s why I take my oil in and request the empty bottles back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.