Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard having an x pipe will gain me little horse power. Is straight pipping the same as doing an x pipe? I wanted to have my car a louder or throater sound to it but also add more horsepower..what’s the best to go between these 2? I just installed an intake also

·
Registered
48 Posts
Both the X pipe and the H pipe will increase flow in a dual exhaust system. It lets one side of the engine use both exhaust pipes at the same time increasing flow. You can YouTube the difference in sound, but I have been told that usually it is common to put H pipes on high displacement engines like the HEMIs to make them sound less tame. However X pipes sound great too. So, either will increase performance in your exhaust system. Just pick the one that sounds best to you. I currently run just pipe and an H pipe on my 6.1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thing is mine already came with the H pipe so maybe I’ll just stick with that. What are your thoughts on straight pipping ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you you so much. I just have no idea what to do now haha cause I want my start to be fast but the x pipe takes that away and the h pipe gives me the start but I want it to be faster and louder. And straight pipe doesnt give it the start but later rpms lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the cost varies on what one you want to get but I’d say it’s inbetween 30-300 dollars just depending on what one you get, and to install it’s around 90-120$ here in USA

·
Registered
2014 CRD
1,594 Posts
Where is the best place to get one of these h pipes? Do you know the cost? (I’m located in England just in case)
Assuming you have a petrol rather than CRD?

Whereabouts in the country are you. There are some good exhaust places that can make up the right pipes for you

·
Administrator
19,734 Posts
I would recommend the X-pipe as the transition to the other side, which is the function of the pipe connection, is smoother and promotes exhaust scavenging without sacrificing low end torque values.

Understand that neither an X-pipe or an H-pipe will get you that much power but the X-pipe will flow better at higher RPMs.

Straight pipes can actually cause you to lose low end torque as you do need a bit of restriction for the system to operate properly. Not to mention that would be really loud.

If you want more sound, replace the mufflers with some aftermarket units that sound good to you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thing is mine already came with the H pipe so maybe I’ll just stick with that. What are your thoughts on straight pipping ?
I run my SRT with a Flowmaster catback, which I modified by removing the mufflers so it just has a 3" pipe from out the shorty headers. I have ran all three configs you mentioned, and noticed only a performance difference between separate pipes and a cross over (X,H). I would stick with either the H or X. Removing other restrictions in the exhaust system like mufflers or resonators will make a larger difference in flow than the choice between X or H.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I already have the H pipe so maybe I’ll stick with that. You think I should do a mid muffler delete or what next to increase air flow?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay so I already have the H pipe so maybe I’ll stick with that. You think I should do a mid muffler delete or what next to increase air flow?
So you probably will not gain much in the power output, and in most cases your powerband will change slightly if you remove any restrictions. I prefer the top end power of an open exhaust, but I have the 6.1 which already starts with more torque. If it is the sound you are after, the power doesn't matter much. I would recommend a mid muffler delete then if you want even more sound you can remove the rear mufflers too. I added some sound deadening material to help with the little drone I have at acceleration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts