Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

XenonDepot has a variety of HID conversion kits, this is their 6000K Volt Digital+ Xenon kit ($199.99--http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Volt_HID_i_Digital_i_HID_Kits_s/148.htm)

Install took about 30 minutes TOTAL (minus the picture-taking) and I am by no means a skilled or trained mechanic.

I've had no "flicker" issues, am seriously impressed with the improvement in lighting, appreciated that XenonDepot pre-assembled the kit with the appropriate relay for the 300's can-bus system (try finding THAT on your cheapo EBay systems, without it you have at best a 50/50 chance that your diagnostics will indicate that you have a headlight out, or the system simply won't work).

PS, anyone interested in systems for motorcycles, I did a review for their motorcycle systems as well, you can read about them here: Motorcycle HID Light Conversion - webBikeWorld

full kit

stretched out...significantly "heavier duty" than most of the eBay kits I've seen at least

Passenger side first. LOOSEN but don't remove the allen-head screws that secure the OEM low beam bulb in the headlamp. Gently rotate the bulb assembly and guide it straight out. (I used latex gloves to make sure I didn't get any fingerprint oil on the OEM halogen bulbs or the HID capsules, finger oil will cause either to prematurely fail or in some cases actually shatter under the high heat generated--if you happen to get any on the capsules, clean thoroughly with alcohol).

Remove blue retaining clip and wiggle the OEM bulb to remove from wiring harness.

CAREFULLY remove HID "Capsule" from protective case, discard foam sleeve.

Note that the "base" of the HID capsule and the base of the regular halogen bulb are the same--three tabs, one of which is smaller than the other two, to allow for proper alignment once in the headlamp socket.

components are plug-and-play

and only fit one way, virtually idiot proof (or at least Pete-proof)

I took the liberty of zip-tying some loose wiring to clean things up (no fair making fun of my dirty engine compartment, I cleaned THAT after the install--and yes, XenonDepot's claim of watertight components held fast).

this is how I tied down on the passenger side

Using existing holes was fine on the passenger side (the driver's side wasn't so easy), though later this spring I might get creative with the dremel to truly hide everything by cutting some holes underneath and looping the zip-ties through them.

zip-tied and it's almost invisible, tucked under the front "lip"

Passenger side, all pretty...zip-tied, clipped...note the balast attached to the fuse box (on the right of the washer fluid resevoir in the picture). I used double-sided adhesive padding for this, AFTER cleaning the surface with alcohol, but also looped a long zip tie just in case the adhesive were ever to fail as a safety measure.

For the driver's side, remove the bolt securing the coolant bottle to remove the existing bulb (I have a CAI, so getting to the headlamp is a bear, otherwise). This allows you to reach underneath the coolant resevoir and fairly easily unscrew the retaining screws and remove the headlamp bulb.

just like on the passenger side, LOOSEN but don't remove the screws holding the bulb in the headlamp socket.

Like on the passenger side, remove the blue retaining clip

carefully remove the HID "capsule"--don't get any fingerprint oil on it unless you want to replace it quickly

GENTLY and carefully slide the HID capsule into place, rotate to lock, and tighten the retaining screws. Here is your view from UNDER the resevoir bottle, the HID capsule in place and fastened.

Attach your relay--now this is the only step that requires a brain...in the install directions it specifies + and -, which just happens to be the REVERSE of the OEM headlight harness. In other words, flip the connector (there is a clip on the OEM connector that latches over the standard bulb that you'll want to align the can-bus relay the same way...if you do this, the HID conversion system won't light and you'll stand there scratching your head...if you reverse it, so the "latch nob" is on the other side, you'll get light)

That tab goes opposite of the retaining clip with this system, just like it says on the instructions.

For the other connections only connect one way, foolproof

Tying up the pieces on the Driver's side is a little more tricky, this is how I did it (your creativity might yield other results.)

First, I looped a long zip tie around the back of the ballast.

second zip tie looped through existing "holes" in the corner of the front lip

connect the two at a couple points, pull, and secure

here's the rest of the driver's side with the remainder zip'd in...at some point, I'll likely un-do the CAI and tuck all of that underneath, but for the time being, it's fine and nothing is going to rattle.

results:

Daytime shot, notice the difference in light intensity between the HID conversion low-beams and OEM fogs:

not a great picture, but you get the, uh, picture:

I've had some serious issues with HID companies in the past, between horrible customer service, substandard equipment, and wiring that may have actually damaged a motorcycle of mine.

XenonDepot has been in business for years, has actual human beings that respond to questions when you call (i.e. if you have questions about "which system is best for my specific vehicle" they will discuss options and systems...not send you an email or tell you to buy a system and try it first).

Problems I've seen on discussion boards and forums for LX-cars and motorcycles related to HID conversion kits seem to focus (no pun intended) on two primary issues. First, the flicker factor. This is often a result of poorly-designed, poorly-fitted "capsules." Xenondepot's capsules are waranteed, and fitted. Second, failure rates--including overheating and actual burning, including fires.

Yeah, you can get a cheaper system--even as has been said "I could get two or three eBay kits and have spare parts." Well, having gone that route, and yanking the system out of my motorcycle and tossing it in a cardboard box, my opinion (and it's only that, my opinion) is that I'd rather not risk setting my car on fire, or doing hundreds or potentially thousands of dollars of damage to save maybe $50-60, especially in a vehicle that my wife drives my kids in once in a while. But if you are comfortable with doing that, help yourself...that's what I like about living in America. Personaly, I think this is a decent system for a very reasonable cost, and the longevity of the company (plus the fact that they support forums like this one and others I frequent) all "add up" for me.

-Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

those 6k's look great.

I took the 300C to the local handwash, the assistant manager chatted me up for ten minutes about them, popped the hood, asked me how tough it would be to put the system in his Toyota 4RUnner, blablabla, then was so excited about it, he forgot to charge me for the premium wash he waved me through for.

I guess that's an additional discount?

(PS Todd, I updated my original post after your reply, added some pics and text)

Pete

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Great detailed write-up man . Outstanding . Looks great . Very neat job . Wow...that's alot of short sentences . :).

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Hi,

You have halogen projectors for halogen 9006 bulbs =)

The halogen projectors just make a great candidate for a 9006 HID conversion kit as the end result is very OEM looking

Steve

·
Registered
494 Posts
Good job! I got some 6oook's for mine also and have NO regrets at all. In fact, last night I ordered some 6oook's for the fogs! Again, good job!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
my 05 window sticker says it has "High intensity discharge headlamps" under optinal equipment. so im guessin I have hids, now wut kind of bulbs do i have 4300k?

·
Premium Member
248 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just ordered a set of 6000k D1S bulbs from you guys at XenonDepot. I had a few questions last week before I ordered and left a voicemail, but never got a call back. I figured it would be pretty safe, judging by all of your cleints here. I'll try to PM you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just ordered a set of 6000k D1S bulbs from you guys at XenonDepot. I had a few questions last week before I ordered and left a voicemail, but never got a call back. I figured it would be pretty safe, judging by all of your cleints here. I'll try to PM you.
email steve..hes very busy but always replies

1 - 20 of 28 Posts