Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '07 C, 5.7. Its in the shop now due to a fender bender. front clip is off. I see the air silencer, and was wondering if it should be removed. The verdicdt seems far from clear as to leave them on or not. While the front clip is off, seems like a good time to have it removed - if it is worth it.

Car is 100% stock.

I'll try to post some pics of what I am talking about.

DSC00307.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hostinghttp://www.300cforums.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=680793

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/greg_nate/?action=view&current=DSC00306.jpg

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
if its just stock it prolly dont matter much

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
by "silencing" the air flow to your intake it also slows down the airflow. i don't have numbers to prove that your car will run better w/o the silencer, but it will sound louder, not much, but noticeable. if you ever plan on putting a Cold Air Intake on the car, then remove it now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by "silencing" the air flow to your intake it also slows down the airflow. i don't have numbers to prove that your car will run better w/o the silencer, but it will sound louder, not much, but noticeable. if you ever plan on putting a Cold Air Intake on the car, then remove it now.

Yes, I will be definately doing a CAI. I don't know when exactly, but I will. The car will be fine without this thing, right?

·
Premium Member
10,829 Posts
Yes, I will be definately doing a CAI. I don't know when exactly, but I will. The car will be fine without this thing, right?
Yes. Hundreds of us have removed it without any problems. I haven't had one for over 2 years.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
dumb question: would it affect the air fuel ratio by removing the silencer because air is flowing in faster?

·
Registered
435 Posts
yoink it off you'll be glad you did... free mod, maybe one of the only free ones you get. I took mine off today, and made a heat shield to block off the air from the engine bay, I'm going to post sme pics on another thread in a minute with the how to for the heat shield. :biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 300 Touring with a Cold Air Intake manifold tube all the way down to behind the bumper. So where is this air silencer?

·
Registered
683 Posts
The SRT8 models come with the silencer already removed so it should be perfectly fine to remove it.
My SRT has the silencer attached to the intake tube at the elbow above the tstat housing. You could pull it out but you'd have to plug it with something

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
My SRT has the silencer attached to the intake tube at the elbow above the tstat housing. You could pull it out but you'd have to plug it with something
SAY WHAT!?

·
Registered
435 Posts
wow, never seen that on any 300 before. It looks stock to. can we get a pick from the front of the engine? that's crazy looking, anyway got me wondering.

·
Registered
683 Posts
it's just a box tied into the intake hose at the elbow before it goes into the manifold. My understand is that most of the 06 SRTs have this setup. I've removed the entire stock intake and replaced it with the AirHammer. Here is the only other picture I have of it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
After reading this thread last night, I went outside and pulled mine out. Pretty big difference in sound IMO.

What a funny looking piece:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
dumb question: would it affect the air fuel ratio by removing the silencer because air is flowing in faster?
anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Certainly, that's the whole idea, almost.

More air more easily. ECU will add fuel to compensate.

More air / more fuel / more power!

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
After reading this thread last night, I went outside and pulled mine out. Pretty big difference in sound IMO.

What a funny looking piece:QUOTE]

GROTESQUE!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts