Chrysler 300C & SRT8 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
update time.
1st is how i sat it for a couple of days whilst testing.

next is the finished (almost) install.
mounted the gps antenna under the center dash speaker grill, as there was no speaker there.
haven't installed the rear camera yet, is plugged in and tested but not mounted, wiring stuffed in glovebox atm.
will remove the trims over easter and run the wiring.

last is after i found a access codes (8888 or 123456) to more car settings section.
have tried many combo's of the door settings, but nothing will change the front door side oped display.
funny thing is the rear doors showed on the correct sides already.

ran a hardware info app on the unit and came up with the following specs,

ALLWINNER T8

SYSTEM (Android 8.1.0)
Model: T8
Manufacturer: Allwinner
Device: t8-p1
Product: t8_p1
Brand: Allwinner
Android Version: 8.1.0
API Level: 27
Build ID: OPM1.171019.013
Fingerprint: Allwinner/t8_p1/t8-p1:8.1.0/OPM1.171019.013/20181009:eng/test-keys

DISPLAY (1024x600)
Size: 1024x600
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Default Orientation: Landscape
Physical Size: 7.42" (18.84 cm)
Logical Size: Large
Density: 160 dpi (Medium)
Pixels Per Inch: X: 160; Y: 160

PROCESSOR (ARMv7)
Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
Cores: 8
Max Frequency: 1800 Mhz
Instruction Sets: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
SIMD Instructions: NEON

MEMORY (2000 MB)
System RAM: 2000 MB
JVM Max Memory: 128 MB
Internal Storage: 26436 MB
External Storage: 26436 MB (Emulated)

overall happy with the unit.
have installed lots of apps and it still is smooth, no lag.
would prefer if the big icons weren't across the bottom of the home screen.

might have to install better speakers now, bit of distortion at higher levels.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
update time.
1st is how i sat it for a couple of days whilst testing.

next is the finished (almost) install.
mounted the gps antenna under the center dash speaker grill, as there was no speaker there.
haven't installed the rear camera yet, is plugged in and tested but not mounted, wiring stuffed in glovebox atm.
will remove the trims over easter and run the wiring.

last is after i found a access codes (8888 or 123456) to more car settings section.
have tried many combo's of the door settings, but nothing will change the front door side oped display.
funny thing is the rear doors showed on the correct sides already.

ran a hardware info app on the unit and came up with the following specs,

ALLWINNER T8

SYSTEM (Android 8.1.0)
Model: T8
Manufacturer: Allwinner
Device: t8-p1
Product: t8_p1
Brand: Allwinner
Android Version: 8.1.0
API Level: 27
Build ID: OPM1.171019.013
Fingerprint: Allwinner/t8_p1/t8-p1:8.1.0/OPM1.171019.013/20181009:eng/test-keys

DISPLAY (1024x600)
Size: 1024x600
Refresh Rate: 60 Hz
Default Orientation: Landscape
Physical Size: 7.42" (18.84 cm)
Logical Size: Large
Density: 160 dpi (Medium)
Pixels Per Inch: X: 160; Y: 160

PROCESSOR (ARMv7)
Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 5 (v7l)
Cores: 8
Max Frequency: 1800 Mhz
Instruction Sets: armeabi-v7a, armeabi
SIMD Instructions: NEON

MEMORY (2000 MB)
System RAM: 2000 MB
JVM Max Memory: 128 MB
Internal Storage: 26436 MB
External Storage: 26436 MB (Emulated)

overall happy with the unit.
have installed lots of apps and it still is smooth, no lag.
would prefer if the big icons weren't across the bottom of the home screen.

might have to install better speakers now, bit of distortion at higher levels.
One of the common complaints I found on them when I was shopping them was that the sound quality wasn't the best, there are a few that have DSP (I think it's digital sound processing but could be wrong) I have no complaints with mine, but I have the amplified boston acoustics system stock, so it was pretty solid to begin with. Adding the sub and amp just sweetened the pot.

·
Registered
458 Posts
With these, the sound problem is the factory dash speakers. Replace them or add tweeters because the factory speakers suck at carrying high notes.
If you had the center speaker I would say ditch it too, because it kills stereo separation.

These head units actually come with a 2-ohm capable output.

·
Registered
177 Posts
according to the build sheet, mine came originally with:
AM/FM CD 6-Disc MP3 RDS Radio & 276 Watt Amplifier with 6 Boston Acoustics Speakers & Boston Acoustic Badge.
over easter i'll pull a dash speaker and have a look what's available locally down here.

found the instruction manual, if you can decipher chinglish (chinese/english)
it is on the unit in a pdf doc in the document reader/office "WPS" app.

steering wheel fwd/back (lhs up/down) are backwards for the music player, have tried remapping them, but no luck.

edit, will have to pull dash again, i need to plug in old radio..... i forgot to eject the disks in the orig player, doh!

edit 2, the screen is terrible when viewing with polarized sunglasses from the drivers seat...

·
Registered
77 Posts
according to the build sheet, mine came originally with:
AM/FM CD 6-Disc MP3 RDS Radio & 276 Watt Amplifier with 6 Boston Acoustics Speakers & Boston Acoustic Badge.
over easter i'll pull a dash speaker and have a look what's available locally down here.

found the instruction manual, if you can decipher chinglish (chinese/english)
it is on the unit in a pdf doc in the document reader/office "WPS" app.

steering wheel fwd/back (lhs up/down) are backwards for the music player, have tried remapping them, but no luck.

edit, will have to pull dash again, i need to plug in old radio..... i forgot to eject the disks in the orig player, doh!

edit 2, the screen is terrible when viewing with polarized sunglasses from the drivers seat...
That is the same system that came in my car. (boston 6 speaker) we installed the adapter to keep wheel controls, my brother just hooked it up wrong he thinks. And the adapter to keep the factory amp, that seems to work like a charm. It also has an adjustment on it that made a world of difference. I can't remember if it was gain or what, but I'm thinking when we get back into it to change the wheel controls, well tweak it some more.

I don't have the screen problem with polarized sunglasses, I expected to, but unless it's dimmed like when I'm running the running lights I have no problem seeing it. You might check your brightness settings and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Got that radio and now installing it. Sound quality is not ok.

"On the harness that came with the radio, move the white wires to where the violet wires are. Just cut and splice. Match striped wire with striped wire."

I have little problems to understand what that means:
- So should I solder white wires to violet wires?
- Or should I change those places: White wire changes to violet and violet changes to white? Line starts by white wire and end to violet wire.
- Or should I cut white wires vere violet are and leave some violet wires off?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Got that radio and now installing it. Sound quality is not ok.

"On the harness that came with the radio, move the white wires to where the violet wires are. Just cut and splice. Match striped wire with striped wire."

I have little problems to understand what that means:
- So should I solder white wires to violet wires?
- Or should I change those places: White wire changes to violet and violet changes to white? Line starts by white wire and end to violet wire.
- Or should I cut white wires vere violet are and leave some violet wires off?
You only have to do that if the one plug is wired wrong.

On some of the earlier made harnesses for installing the head unit a couple of speaker wires were hooked up incorrectly.

"IF" you even need to make the correction you would cut two wires and splice the other two in.
Not everyone had to swap the wires around, because some of the wire harnesses were done correctly.

A few people, myself included did not have to swap the wires around.
Just cut the wire color mentioned that they connected and replace it by splicing the other color wire into that location.
Match striped wire to striped wire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is three models of speaker wirings. Lowline, midline and highline. I think lowline has all four speakers and all of the wirings. This new radio supports this kind of (original lowline) radio. It has wires for 4 speakers: White x 2, Purple x2, Green x 2 and Gray x 2.

Then is midline, but I did not inspect that case. I don't write about it.

And I have highline, with 7+1 speakers and 360w amplifier. It is Boston acoustic. It has only left and right line. Fader is made by CAN-bus, and this new radio can't control original (CAN-bus controlled) amplifier.

So the new radio gives 8 speaker wires, but my car can take only 4 wires. Left +/-. And right +/-. It can take in only left and right: Left green +/- and right grey +/-.

I will write something of those wirings someday. Now I only say that I have to connect left speaker wires to left side and right speaker wires to right side. There will be no fader, if I won't buy new amplifier. But it is true that I have to cut and splice some wires.

To be continued...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is my feeling of the product:

Radio freezes many times like today twice. If Android doesn't wake up, I have to shut and start the car engine. It’s not good, if I'm driving on the highway so there is no opportunity to restart the engine. Today Sygig map also froze. I have not installed any programs or applications from Android shop, so my unit has no bugs.

Voice command of the Sygig map: While listening to the radio, commands are so quiet you can't hear them. At the same volume level, while listening to the music from usb, commands are clear and loud like they should be.

Unit doesn’t play WMA music, unlike according to the seller site: “Digital Media Format: Mp3, Mp4, JPEG, WMA.” That is not true. WMA doesn't work. It gives an error message and music won’t hear. MP3s are being played well.

There is no place for SD-card unlike seller’s site says: “SD card can up to biggest 32 gb”.

According to the website “Headrest video output: Can not support without customization”. Though later in the text after the pictures there is mentioned connector numbers 7 and 8 for video outputs. Below it there is a conflicting mention: “Supports DVD and headrest DVD connection and use by this unit.”

Screen reflects the outside view so much (especially when the sun is shining), you can't see the screen (for example the map) at all. It is like glass which reflects everything. Screen is TN not IPC model.
And that 2.5 HD screen is only a slight curvature at the edge of the glass display. Picture of the product in their site is different than what they send.

Sound and speaker wires won't work without cutting wires. In Chrysler 300’s sound groups 2 ja 3, there is an amplifier, but the unit doesn't support it. In lowest sound group 1, the radio unit works without modification. But the set they send, there is no stereo sound at all – if you have original amplifier. Only way to listen stereo is using left front and right rear outputs.

Also, speaker wires -/+ are not match in the label.

Plastic bezel doesn’t fit correctly. For example, fittings for clock are no good. You have to cut plastic of the bezel to fit the clock.

There are some other problems also, but I don’t write of those now.

I have to say, after using this product now for three weeks, I’m not satisfied. There is so many poor things and problems all the time so I have to say: Poor android unit. Don't waste your money to this product!

And here it is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QZ-industrial-9-HD-8core-Android-8-1-T8-for-Chrysler-300C-2000-2014-Car-DVD/32853731324.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dYLWQCB

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here is my feeling of the product:

Radio freezes many times like today twice. If Android doesn't wake up, I have to shut and start the car engine. It’s not good, if I'm driving on the highway so there is no opportunity to restart the engine. Today Sygig map also froze. I have not installed any programs or applications from Android shop, so my unit has no bugs.

Voice command of the Sygig map: While listening to the radio, commands are so quiet you can't hear them. At the same volume level, while listening to the music from usb, commands are clear and loud like they should be.

Unit doesn’t play WMA music, unlike according to the seller site: “Digital Media Format: Mp3, Mp4, JPEG, WMA.” That is not true. WMA doesn't work. It gives an error message and music won’t hear. MP3s are being played well.

There is no place for SD-card unlike seller’s site says: “SD card can up to biggest 32 gb”.

According to the website “Headrest video output: Can not support without customization”. Though later in the text after the pictures there is mentioned connector numbers 7 and 8 for video outputs. Below it there is a conflicting mention: “Supports DVD and headrest DVD connection and use by this unit.”

Screen reflects the outside view so much (especially when the sun is shining), you can't see the screen (for example the map) at all. It is like glass which reflects everything. Screen is TN not IPC model.
And that 2.5 HD screen is only a slight curvature at the edge of the glass display. Picture of the product in their site is different than what they send.

Sound and speaker wires won't work without cutting wires. In Chrysler 300’s sound groups 2 ja 3, there is an amplifier, but the unit doesn't support it. In lowest sound group 1, the radio unit works without modification. But the set they send, there is no stereo sound at all – if you have original amplifier. Only way to listen stereo is using left front and right rear outputs.

Also, speaker wires -/+ are not match in the label.

Plastic bezel doesn’t fit correctly. For example, fittings for clock are no good. You have to cut plastic of the bezel to fit the clock.

There are some other problems also, but I don’t write of those now.

I have to say, after using this product now for three weeks, I’m not satisfied. There is so many poor things and problems all the time so I have to say: Poor android unit. Don't waste your money to this product!

And here it is: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/QZ-industrial-9-HD-8core-Android-8-1-T8-for-Chrysler-300C-2000-2014-Car-DVD/32853731324.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3da24c4dYLWQCB
Sorry to hear that.

That looks like the same one I have in my 2006 Srt and I had the complete opposite experience.

Mine has been fantastic aside from a few setup glitches such as switching some wires and drilling out the small hole for the clock adjustment button.

There is a reset button on the front of the unit if it freezes. It happened to me last year while using Waze a couple of times but it looks like an app update did the trick.

I am using it all with mobile hotspot and streaming media so maybe its the hardware interface with stored music, video outputs and storage that is causing issues. All of the major apps such as Pandora, YouTube, spotify, castbox, Google maps and Waze work very well.

You can install a screen coating to reduce glare. A brightness app with a single press on the main screen that rotates through 4 settings did the trick for different lighting conditions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I also bought that same head unit from the same vendor and it works great.
I have only had a freeze up once from Sygic GPS, but as bm_srt said, there is a small hole on the left side near the bottom for resetting the head unit that fixes that without having to shut down the car. That freeze up would be a problem with the APP though, and not the head unit. A different APP may be needed because of compatibility issues.
Other than that the head unit is working great.

If you install a different media player you can play the WMA files. I use PowerAmp on mine, but you need to buy it and allow it to have at least a momentary connection to the internet about once a week for the license check, but there are many free ones you can use out there that do not do that.

I've been storing my music on USB flash drives and hard drives plugged into the USB connectors and they never give me any problems at all.

I'm not sure why, but I never noticed the screen glare with mine, but my windows do have tinting from the factory, so it may be that, but I did see glare on the double din radio I had in my old Dodge Intrepid, so I understand what you are talking about.

For the video outputs you need an adapter to connect to the factory VES system, or screens that the vendor sells separately if you want to set up the car with it yourself.

Here is the adapter harness for VES integration with aftermarket head units that Pac audio sells. You should not have to buy their can-bus adapter, since the head unit came with one.
You need to double check to make sure this is the correct one for your car.
https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement/chyrvd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just want to say I appreciate this post and I'm happy to see people still active on these forums.

I'm in the market for a new android head unit and decided to pull the trigger and check it out for myself. It's even on sale today ($364). Hopefully everything is in working order when it comes in and I don't have too many issues. I also liked the specs of the joying 10 inch ($420) and the dasaita 10 inch ($490) but much prefer the cleaner stock look of the QZCYSL9081T8 and the simplistic installation aspect, as well as the price point. I don't mind paying more if the quality is there but honestly buying these chinese brands are hit and miss it seems. Only time will tell.

Nothing left to do now but work on some other mods until the unit makes it's way to my doorstep!!!

On a side note, I do have a few questions for the owners:

1) Do you recommend any additional accessories/wiring to enhance this unit? Does it accept any universal backup camera or am I better off getting a certain brand? Will it let you also run a secondary camera of my choice? I was thinking about placing one on the front bumper for curb side parking, etc.
2) Is there a manual somewhere for this thing?
3) Are you capable of adding any app you want from the google play store?

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
458 Posts
1) Do you recommend any additional accessories/wiring to enhance this unit? Does it accept any universal backup camera or am I better off getting a certain brand? Will it let you also run a secondary camera of my choice? I was thinking about placing one on the front bumper for curb side parking, etc.
2) Is there a manual somewhere for this thing?
3) Are you capable of adding any app you want from the google play store?

Any input is appreciated!
Very important step. Disconnect the battery when installing the head unit, or you will have no sound at all until you do.

1) Replace the dash speakers in the car with better ones, or at least add tweeters. The factory dash speakers suck at carrying high notes. Oh, and if you have a center speaker in your dash, disconnect it. It kills stereo separation. The factory speakers are 2ohm so stick with that if you replace the speakers. Infinity Kappas are a great choice for replacement dash speakers.
I had a backup camera laying around for an old android head unit that works fine with it, so others may work also.
There is a connection for a second camera on the back of the unit and some built in apps for that.
If you have the VES (Video Entertainment System) in your car from the factory, you will want to get the harness for connecting an aftermarket head unit into it from PAC Audio..
You should only need the VES harness, as the head unit comes with a Can-Bus converter.

2) The manual is stored on the drive in the system.

3) So far I have had no issues installing any apps.
Apps I have installed are Torgue Pro, PowerAmp for music, Cobra iradar (iradar is like waze, but you can buy an inexpensive radar detector from Cobra that can link to the head unit also) and also Android Auto.
I've switched to a different home screen that I found on google play that I thought looked nicer.
Sygic for GPS, and a few other apps that I can't think of at the moment have been installed at various times since i bought it.
Side note. In the cases I have seen with people complaining about "ANY" of the android head units locking up, it is usually with GPS apps, so give them time to load and do not rush them, just to be safe. Bottom left corner of the head unit has two small holes, one is a built in mic, and the other is for resetting the head unit in the event that it does lock up. Just need a small paper clip to poke into that hole to reset (restart) it

I suggest reading this thread before you get it, as there are many helpful tips and things to look for that will help you get it done right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Very important step. Disconnect the battery when installing the head unit, or you will have no sound at all until you do.

1) Replace the dash speakers in the car with better ones, or at least add tweeters. The factory dash speakers suck at carrying high notes. Oh, and if you have a center speaker in your dash, disconnect it. It kills stereo separation.
I had a backup camera laying around for an old android head unit that works fine with it, so others may work also.
There is a connection for a second camera on the back of the unit and some built in apps for that.
If you have the VES (Video Entertainment System) in your car from the factory, you will want to get the harness for connecting an aftermarket head unit into it from PAC Audio..
You should only need the VES harness, as the head unit comes with a Can-Bus converter.

2) The manual is stored on the drive in the system.

3) So far I have had no issues installing any apps.
Apps I have installed are Torgue Pro, PowerAmp for music, Cobra iradar (iradar is like waze, but you can buy an inexpensive radar detector from Cobra that can link to the head unit also) Android Auto.
I've switched to a different home screen that I found on google play that I thought looked nicer.
Sygic for GPS, and a few other apps that I can't think of at the moment have been installed at various times since i bought it.

I suggest reading this thread before you get it, as there are many helpful tips and things to look for that will help you get it done right.
Thanks for the super FAST response!

Disconnecting batteries are essential to every head unit I've ever installed so no prob there.

1) My car originally came with the boston acoustics package (no navigation or dvd on the center console) and it doesn't sound half bad for a stock unit. However, I will be upgrading the speakers in the coming weeks, no issue there. I ultimately intend on running a larger amp (alpine) and a sub (alpine) that I need to pull out of my previous 300. I also need to find a sub box that fits in either corner of our trunks in that recessed space so that I can free up my trunk. Didn't want to get a custom box because it probably costs more than it's worth.

2) Sucks that there isn't a PDF of the manual, do they really expect you to read the manual on the device while also trying to adjust settings on the device, etc? Wtf? Makes more sense to open up the manual on a tablet/phone and read in the car while I tweak stuff. Maybe I will send them an email asking for the manual in the meantime.

3)Great news that all apps are functioning from what you have tried so far. I don't run many, but certainly appreciate the compatibility. My top 5 apps are google maps, spotify, vlc player (videos), youtube and torque.

Well off to eat some dinner now. I'll go back and read over this thread later tonight and see what other info I can pull out of it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Found now that RST-hole and now I have to find other player for the WMA music!

BillTheAxe, are you sure that the PAC wire gives video to the VES?

There is another model than doesn't have that 2.5 HD screen. Maybe it has better screen and it gives outputs for rear headrest monitors. But where I could find some non reflecting tape, etc for the screen?

And my old rearview / parking camera works ok. I took power to the camera from some brown wire. Wire is in that CAN bus box what comes with the unit. Got the picture of the correct wire from the seller. I don't know is my camera PAL or what.

I sent that manual from the unit to my e-mail. You need wifi hotspot to do that. But the manual doesn't have all information.

That SYGIC map is great, but it has so light colors that in the sun shining you can't see the map.

I have been thinking to replace that original amplifier. Does anybody have some ideas?

And thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Interesting find! Didn't know some our of cars came with a factory sub. Then again, I haven't researched any options yet, but this is certainly something to consider. I will do some more digging into this and see. Appreciate the help though!!
There is also a place for a small sub between the two rear speakers in the rear deck of the car.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Found now that RST-hole and now I have to find other player for the WMA music!

BillTheAxe, are you sure that the PAC wire gives video to the VES?

There is another model than doesn't have that 2.5 HD screen. Maybe it has better screen and it gives outputs for rear headrest monitors. But where I could find some non reflecting tape, etc for the screen?

And my old rearview / parking camera works ok. I took power to the camera from some brown wire. Wire is in that CAN bus box what comes with the unit. Got the picture of the correct wire from the seller. I don't know is my camera PAL or what.

I sent that manual from the unit to my e-mail. You need wifi hotspot to do that. But the manual doesn't have all information.

That SYGIC map is great, but it has so light colors that in the sun shining you can't see the map.

I have been thinking to replace that original amplifier. Does anybody have some ideas?

And thanks again for your help!
That is what that the PAC harness is for. To retain VES function after a change to an aftermarket head unit.

Sygic has a night time mode that can be switched to, that changes the colors to a darker color, it may help.

Can't help you with the amp, since I am fine with the factory one I have. All I did was add an Infinity Bass Link sub to the trunk to give the system a bit more power.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is what that the PAC harness is for. To retain VES function after a change to an aftermarket head unit.

Sygic has a night time mode that can be switched to, that changes the colors to a darker color, it may help.

Can't help you with the amp, since I am fine with the factory one I have. All I did was add an Infinity Bass Link sub to the trunk to give the system a bit more power.
Yes, that night mode helps a litle bit but not much.

And that PAC wire seems to fit for 2008-> radios like Mygig. It has different connector.

And that new radio unit should give video output (from some wire), but I think that it won't have that opportunity. It feeds to the car only; CAN bus, speakers and +/-. There is no video output.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts